small fan on motherboard making noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

akameehow

Beta member
i am having an issue where this small fan on my motherboard will run but go slow to normal speed and keep bouncing between fast and slow and it becomes quite irritating. Can anyone help me out here

board-sm.jpg

cooler.jpg

What are you doing when its doing this? If its adjusting speed, then I'd say the chip underneath is getting too hot and its cooling it down, then adjusts speed accordingly when it reaches a safer temp.

I concur..... when it gets too hot the fan starts spinning faster (the rpm's kick up a bit). Thus cooling the underlying chip. Then once the chip gets back within reasonable safe temperatures, the fan slows down because it is cool enough. Then it gets hotter again....you get the picture.

You can disable the 'smart' fan features in your BIOS if it annoys you so much. However, then it'd be running at max speed always.

If it's a quiet enough fan that's not a problem, but if it's noisy then you might find it even more annoying than the switching speeds. Your call though.

I'm pretty sure you can get programs that edit the speed of fans, just like ATI Tray tools lets you set the fan speed/temp of your video card.

On a side not I have a side pannel fan that is loose or needs grease and it annoys the **** out of me. Sometimes I'll bump the table and set it off and then I will spend 5 minutes smacking the fan trying to get it to be silent. Scares me to death in the middle of the night.

i am having an issue where this small fan on my motherboard will run but go slow to normal speed and keep bouncing between fast and slow and it becomes quite irritating. Can anyone help me out here

cooler.jpg

Try applying some more thermal paste, or getting some arctic silver.

Those MSI Fans are not that hard to pop off and put back on again.

see but the issue isnt over time, over a span of about 2 sec it goes fast-slow-fast-slow and it will stay that way for awhile... sometimes it happens when i have a lot of load playing video games but other times i can just have my browser open and it will do it, kind of random

I have owned many MSI mobos and that isa common problem with these boards. They have crapy northbridge fans. It is easy to change these fans and that is what you will need to do.

Its still taxing the processor in some way. My boss's HP slimline PC did this until we mounted a small fan on the side of his case to blow air on it; the temps on that thing were rocketing high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom