Sluggish performace

Status
Not open for further replies.

bspivy

Beta member
Need some help, just got a computer from a friend for free. It's a dell desktop running windows xp, i've downloaded all the windows updates, deleted all the cookies, spam, all that good stuff, ran virus scanners, defragged it, everything i can think to do but it's still very very slow, it takes internet explorer at least thirty seconds to come up when i click the icon, after rebooting it's a good five minutes before i can do anything. ever opening the start menu is slow, i have no idea what to do to speed it up. I'm not the most educated person when it comes to ghz this and pentium that but i'll just list what it has.
Intel Pentium 4, 1.4 ghz, 128 mb ram
I checked to see if i have alot of unnecessary programs running and it doesn't and it's showing that it's only running between 10 and 20% cpu usage in task manger and it shows 261 mb page file usage history which appears to be about 80%. I'm out of ideas so any help you can give me to speed it up would be greatly appreciated!!!!

your running 128mb RAM on XP... thats your answer... u need like 512mb to make it run smooth.. even for general usage... buy some more RAM..

^agreed 128mb is the MINIM supported by XP how old is this rig anyway?

Sry I should have added that 128 is the minum recomended thanks for the correction vern :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom