Slow, noisy Raptor - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2008, 03:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Slow, noisy Raptor

Hi, I recently installed a Western Digital Raptor X 10,000rpm, 150gb hard drive in my pc to put my Operating System on and also installed two other slower drives for storage. I thought this would be great, but the hard drive is really noisy and slow. I knew how loud it was supposed to be before I bought it, but I expected it to be a lot quicker. I have tried installing XP Pro and Vista Ultimate on it and they both take ages to load up, making a racket while doing so. The odd things is though, when, for example unraring a big rar file, the drive is lilghtning fast - at least twice as fast as my other 7,200rpm drives. I have just installed Vista on one of the 7,200rpm drives and it runs considerably quicker.

Could it be a faulty drive or can anyone shed any light on what may the be the problem?

Old 01-27-2008, 04:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing
Send a message via MSN to Nick
Default Re: Slow, noisy Raptor

How old is the drive, if it is old and has been used heavily then it could well be faulty, if its new then replace it as these drives should be quick

Old 01-27-2008, 05:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I bouight it about 3 months agop but only put it into my computer last week
Old 01-27-2008, 05:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Return it.
Closed Thread