Slow download speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstract Hero

Hyper Techie
Hey guys, long time no see but I need your help.

I just helped my friend and upgraded a few components on his machine, we did it at my house so that the internet speeds for drivers and such would be much faster. This wasn't true.

His machine has painfully slow dl speeds and I first thought this was his internet at home causing this. At my house the speeds are no faster and they are on my network and a 300N usb adapter compared to his ethernet and lesser internet service.

None of it adds up. The drivers have all be updated and the circumstances are completely different. What is wrong and how can I fix it?

Specs:
Compaq GM442AA-ABA SR5125CL
Athlon x2
3gb ram
W7 32-bit

The wireless card is a NETGEAR WNDA3100v2 N600

Edit: I put this in the wrong section, forgive rustiness. Mods go ahead and move if you'd like.

Well I get what you're saying but it doesn't make sense why the usb adapter would be slowed too BUT your answer made me think.

There was a 56k pci modem in this machine. I pulled it out. Everything works to full capacity.

Thanks, MoM!

Does he have any anti-virus programs running a firewall? I just recently had an issue with McAfee's firewall blocking my internet use, so eventually I just turned it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom