Slow Boot Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatguy011071

Beta member
Hello, I have an issue with a P5K-E motherboard. I upgraded from an older Intel board because I wanted improved performance but I really am not getting it. Example, if I boot my older Intel mobo based system up at the same time as my Asus mobo based system up the Intel system boots up faster by about 30 seconds.

I am using RAID 0 in the Asus system, two Raptors. There is a single drive in the Intel mobo system. Both of the drives in these systems are 10,000 RPM Raptors. In the Asus system I get on occasion, file system errors. I run chkdsk /f and they are repaired. They always come back however. My gut feeling tells me it is not the hard drives but the motherboard. Running memtest86 over night returned no memory errors. So, I think it is related somehow to the RAID controller/mobo. I can't pin it on anything else if the memory turns up clean and the hard disk health application returns 100 health most of the time, at worst it is 98%.

Having said all that, I can't believe the difference in boot times in the two systems mentioned here. I have read on other forums that it is normal for a system running RAID for it to take about 1 minute for the system to boot since it has to initialize the array and controllers but I am having serious doubts about this motherboard. I feel it could be an underlying issue that just hasn't fully surfaced yet. I have had 3 Asus boards. The first system I built was a p4p533c. That system was rock solid, the second board was p4p800se and it was complete crap having ate up 2 hard drives and a stick of RAM. Now I have this board and I said to myself after the last Asus board I would never buy another one because of the issues I had with the last one but someone talked me into it saying it was great. As a stop gap, I was going to purchase a RAID card to stop using the on board RAID to see if that would prevent my hard drives from getting ruined. Any one have any thoughts?

Thank You.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom