slight problem with temps - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2007, 03:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default slight problem with temps

if this is the wrong forum, i hope you can forgive me and kindly move the topic to the appropriate forum.

so i just built a computer for my little brother and i'm a bit concerned with this reading i'm getting from speedfan. core1 is giving me 31c but core2 is burning at 54c. this is contradictory to the reading i'm getting from the coretemp program, which is giving me a 39c and 33c reading.

i'm thinking that speedfan is getting that reading from another sensor on the mobo? because i figure that temperature has to come from SOMEWHERE, right? how can i go about finding out what that is? my main concern is bringing that temperature DOWN. anyone else had a similar problem?

setup is:
athlon 64 x2 5600+
ecs GeFORCE6100sm-m
ocz ddr2 6400 (2gigs)
evga geforce 8600 gts

thanks in advance for your help, i don't want my little bro's computer to fry. he saved up for it and that would totally suck.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: slight problem with temps

speedfan is complete and utter crap. I assume you are using stock cooling. Ignore anything that speedfan says. Just go with coretemp..

Nothing to see here.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: slight problem with temps

haha, i kinda figured i'd get a response like that (i've been told that speedfan is crappy from a few other people). but the thing is, that high temperature in speedfan fluctuates slightly (usually by 1-2 degrees celcius). so i'm thinking that its coming from a working sensor SOMEWHERE, and i'm concerned with bringing the temp down to normal levels.
Closed Thread