Slave Drive vanished!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneEyedEd

Baseband Member
Hey, so I just built a new computer and installed my OS along with a few programs I use a lot onto my new SSD. Once that was done I shut down and connected my new WD 2TB harddrive. It didn't pop up at first so I did a little research and found out I had to go to Computer Management etc... long story short it finally poped up.

about 20 minutes later I went and looked again and it was just gone.......... It's not in the device manager, not in the computer management not on the My computer screen and its not showing up in the bios either. I changed the Sata placements on the Mobo and my SSD showed up in the other port, I also swaped the cables and those worked as well. I even unplugged the power and sata cable while the computer was on then plugged them back in and I heard the harddrive start to spin.. then the computer crashed for obvious reasons. Have i overlooked something stupid? These are my specs and I'm using this new UEFI bios so maybe I'm just doing somthing wrong or maybe the drive is just dead? Any help would be great, thanks!

Specs:
Corsair HX850W
ASUS Sabertooth P67
MSI GTX570
i5-2500k
Crusial M4 128gb SSD
2TB WD 7200RPM 64MB
Corsair 8gb Vengence RAM 1600
ASUS PCE-N15 wifi card.

So I moved the harddrive over to the marvel sata ports on my mobo (i originally had both the SSD and the HDD on the intel sata ports). So I moved the HD over and went into the bios and configured the marvel ports for IDE or w/e instead of AHCI and rebooted and during the reboot the marvel ports work looking again (since I hadnt turned it off before) and it said initializing... then boom it found Sata 6g's space: 0gb. I think the harddrive is broken DOA. I'm gonna request to have it sent back and get a new one.

Any last thoughts?

Sounds pretty reasonable. If the HDD isn't showing up in the BIOS then it is likely that either the SATA controller or the drive itself is broken. If you have tried multiple ports/controllers and the drive still isn't right then it is probably the drive.

The only thing left to do is check it in another computer to see if it shows up there. If not you can be sure that it's the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom