Simple Hard Drive Conflict - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Simple Hard Drive Conflict

Hey guys, just wondering if you can give me some input on a little problem I'm having. When I plug in my Seagate ST90000U2 External Hard Drive it seems to install fine and the computer detects it (Running Windows Vista). However, there's no drive letter for it so it doesn't appear next to my Drive C:

I tried going into Disk Management and assigning a letter, but everything is grayed out. I can only open properties. I downloaded the Seagate testing software and ran some test on the drive and it turned out ok. I'm a little baffled. I tried the drive on a Windows 7 and I guess the drivers didn't want to install, which probably was some compatability issue, but that's aside from the point. No CD drivers, it's a plug and play external drive that has two plugs... one blue and one turquoise. One is for power.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Sincerely, Cajete

Old 09-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Simple Hard Drive Conflict

Is it formatted, at all? That sounds like a locked drive.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Honestly I don't know. It was given to me by a friend who asked me to put some information on it for him. But lord and behold, when I go and plug it in I get the issue at hand. So if it were a locked Hard Drive, how would I go about unlocking it? Assuming it's even possible... But I think he was using it fine though. Strange... =\

Hmmmmm... *scratches head*
Old 09-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

*acts like a monkey*

I don't know, if it is not giving you options in Disk Management, I think the only way would be to put it on his computer and change something, as the letter of the drive.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Give your friend a call now and ask him if there is a password or lock on the hdd, if he says yes ask him for the password so that you can get in.
If he does not know whats going on take it back to him tomorrow and ask him to fix it.
Closed Thread