Signs of an overheating vid card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulok

Beta member
I have a Radeon 9800 vid card and lately after a few moments use (particularly when playing WoW) the graphics start to mess up. The colours are breaking up and I start to see lines on the screen like in the Matrix.

In game graphics start to take on polygons etc like they're not being rendered correctly. My first thought is it may be overheating but I have no way to check that. Anyone have any advice?

And if it is overheating, whats the cheapest and best solution for it?

thanks!

The shapes you're seeing are called artifacts, and they are usually because the card is over heating, or its about to die. If its overheating, first check to make sure the fan on the card is spinning freely while the computer is on. If not you gotta replace, that, might as well go aftermarket. If it is, then you have to get the case ventilated better. Also if you have the card over clocked at all, back it down until it doesn't artifact anymore.

If it keeps doing it no matter what you do, it may be time for a new card.

Thanks! I figured it was overheating not really sure on that. Any recommendations for aftermarket fans for the Radeon 9800?

I have the same card but the AIW version.

First, make sure that your fan is working. There have been numerous reports by other owners on the net that the 9800 fan is quite vulnerable to dying.

Second, make sure that there is no dust build up on the heatsink of the 9800 Pro.

Also are you OC? Because if you are you should make sure you have adequate case cooling at the minimum e.g. one fan blowing cool air inside and one or two fans blowing hot air out.

If you have soundcards and other PCI devices try to install those further away from the 9800 Pro because soundcards get hot too and if you one too close it just adds to the heat.

Turn off or turn down AA if you have it on high. It really stresses the GPU.

If your room temperature is really hot (above 24C) you should consider moving the PC to a cooler spot or opening some windows
in your room.

If all those "cheap' methods fail, just buy a VGA cooler. Zalman is a good brand.

I also forgot to mention that if you install a VGA cooler on your GPU or decide to mod it any other way with third party cooling devices it will VOID your warranty.

thanks folks, yeah the card is 3 yrs old so i dont think its under warranty anymore. Funny you mentioned Zalman, I was looking at the Zalman VF700-Cu in the store on my lunch break. Might pick it up. Looks like its pretty big though, I might not have enough space.

85 degrees is getting up there!!!! Pull thta graphics card and clean the fan. Gently blow on the fan and it shold spin freely. If you have had it for 3 years and it has been heavily OC'd........an Nvidia 6800gt wll make you happy!!!

I just recently purchesed it. So im thinking about upgrading in the summertime. Ya the most I've seen it was 90 degrees. So I'm purchesing a PCI fan because the ram sink isn't connect to the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom