*Sigh* PC still Not Working - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default *Sigh* PC still Not Working

As you know I recently did a full upgrade on my PC. It's been a full month and it still not working 100%. I'm currently on it now but the DVD-Drive doesn't work and the Sound Card just magically stopped working after an hour or two.

The DVD-Drive looks to be connected fine

Full Shot of PC

Behind DVD-Drive

Full View of IDE Cable

How the IDE Cable is connected to the Motherboard

And it should be too because well okay let me explain.

First when my new PC didn't work I thought it was the motherboard, so I got an exchange and realized that it wasn't it. Finally I found out that it was an overheated processor. Now that is fine I'm having these problems.

I'm pretty sure that this is due to the motherboard because on the previous PC with the before exchanged motherboard and even the faulty CPU the DVD-Drive and Sound Card worked perfectly fine. Now they don't.

So should I get an exchange for the motherboard?

Also what are some tests that I can do for my sound card because I've already gone into the control panel and stuff.

The only thing that bothers me is that it states that there is no device volume being brought to it, though the mixer states otherwise.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
I can't brain today

Default Re: *Sigh* PC still Not Working

hmmm its almost like your soundcard drivers aren't installed properly. I would totally uninstall them and then reinstall the soundcard drivers to see if that gets it working. Also PCI slots can play up sometimes. Try taking the card out and then placing it back in just to reset it's position.

As for the DVD drive it looks like its is all connected properly. Make sure that the drive jumper is set to master as it is the only one on the IDE cable. Is the drive even recognised by windows? right click my computer and go into manage - then into device manager. If it is there then there might be a problem with the laser, if not it could be the cable, motherboard connection (try another IDE plug if there is two on the motherboard), or you need a new drive all together

Old 07-21-2008, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

^^^I did uninstall then reinstalled the soundcard.

Also how do I set it to master?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
I can't brain today

To set the drive to master you will have to pull the drive out of the case to make it easier.

Next look at the information on the top of the drive, it should display a picture of how the jumper should be set in order for it to be master.

Next go to the back of the drive and the jumper is located left of the IDE port. Make sure that the little black square jumper is plugged onto the correct (master) plug
Old 07-21-2008, 03:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Yeah the sound card still isn't working.

Is it the motherboard or the CPU?

Probably the motherboard right?
Closed Thread