"Shutting Off" - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default "Shutting Off"

OK, this is weird.

My old PC (A bit older, 80 G HD 256 RAM but with a DVD RW) just "shuts off" whenever getting into a content intensive site or DL'ing anything.

I can open a Pokerstars client and it will sit there for about an hour, or it will do google searches until the cows come home... If I just let it sit, it will "shut off" after an hour of idle time. God forbid I open an ebay page or try to DL a youtube video, it shuts off immediately.

Does anyone know what might be causing this, or at least, where I should start as far as replacing stuff?
Keep in mind... Google searches, OK for about an hour.
Online poker client, OK for about an hour.
Idling, about an hour before it clicks off...

Opening a graphics intensive page or DL'ing anything, shuts off *immediately*.

Usually, i'd just give it the 12 gauge treatment and forget about it, but my new PC (Emachines) doesn't have a DVD RW and i'd kinda like to keep this one around, particularly if the fix is under 50-75.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

What are all of your computer specs and how old is your computer? It may just be getting to the point where it stops working depending on how old it is.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Possible causes: overheating, Power Supply failing. List specifics,please.
\"You just don\'t live life. You change it. You shape it. You make a mark upon it...\"
Old 02-18-2007, 11:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Check your ram first, if its not that then its probably your PSU. If its your PSU you can get a new cheap one for under that amount, but installing it may not be your cup of tea.<---- I say this because your keeping an old machine around for the DVD RW rather then moving this drive to your other machine, which is probably the cheapest and easiest option.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

How would one run diagnostics on these things? Power Supply, RAM, PSU, temp, etc?

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and can follow a schematic, so the repairs shouldn't be too difficult once I know what to repair and why i'm repairing it.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

There can be two things.
1 System overheating
2 PSU failure

Install EVEREST and it will give you system specs and temps. If your temp are normal then just buy a new PSU in other case you should check your heatsink. Clean it and check if there is thermal paste left on the processor and if the Heatsink fan is working.
Intel 3.0 ghz 640j
Leadtek 6600gt extreme PCI-E
corsair 5400 (2 * 512)
bZerk vigor 500w
3R 202 case
Logitech z-680 5.1 speakers
Creative XFI external sound card
Old 02-22-2007, 06:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Part of the problem is that I cannot install any software without the unit immediately shutting down...

The two "for sure" triggers that will shut this PC off in an instant are:

1) Viewing a DL intensive website (lots of images, flash, embedded videos, etf... I can view google all day, but if I click on a typical myspace page? Instant shutdown. )

2) DL'ing any software.

Anyway, I think i'll replace the heatsink and PSU and see where that gets me...

Closed Thread