shutting down during boot-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

syko32649

Beta member
After cleaning & blowing out all the dust etc, my old faithful pc now shuts down usually while XP (32) is loading. I tried entering the bios to look around for something wrong.....but after a minute or two it shuts down while in bios. So I don't think it's OS related.

I started looking for loose connections etc. The only thing I could find that was loose is my LGA 775 stock fan/heatsink. I removed it, cleaned off the old paste etc, re-installed with new thermo paste.

But after trying for hours....I simply cannot get the stock fan/heatsink to fit tight with no movement. :wtf:

I got it better than it was, however the pc still shuts down during boot up. I tried pressing down firmly on the cpu fan/heatsink while booting. PRESTO! it boots up fine. I kept it running several minutes, and all worked normaly....until I released pressure on the cpu fan/heatsink,......it only lasted for about 2 minutes after releasing the pressure, before shutting down.

Am I right in assuming I need to get an aftermarket cpu cooler? One that has a better installation method than the stock cooler?

Well....besides being a newb (LOL) I'm not sure why I couldn't secure the heatsink. I just couldn't get all 4 posts to stay in the holes. I built this pc 4 yrs ago....and remember I had a heck of a time getting it mounted back then. I am frustrated with it enough to go get an aftermarket cooler. I understand I may have to remove the MB to put in fastening hardware for some aftermarket coolers.

I couldn't remember exactly where to navigate in the bios to read the temps. When I tried that the pc shut down before I could find it. If it is an overheating problem...I am afraid to keep trying.

It sounds like you need a new heatsink.

Is this a home built computer or did it come from a factory? Can you tell use the make and model. How much room is there around the Socket? If it's a home-built can you tell us the make and model of mobo and the case?

What do you use the computer for? Do you overclock? If it's just an average PC then you can get a new aftermarket "stock heatsink". This one is cheap and it's from a pretty good manufacturer. However, it attaches to the mobo just like the one your using now.
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RR-LEE-L911-GP 92mm Sleeve X Dream 4 CPU Cooler

If you want a heatsink with a different retention system there are a few issues. The 1st being that you'll have to remove the mobo from the case in order to attach the backplate. 2nd, these style of heatsinks are usually larger than a "stock style" heatsink and your case size may be a limiting factor. And number 3, they cost more, your looking at a minimum of $25 for something that may or may not perform any better than the $15 Cooler Master.

At least you were smart enough to re-grease it. Not all aftermarket coolers need a backplate. Some of the bigger ones, yes. Did to try at all, to secure down 2 corners that are across from eache other? that is the way to go.

Overheating won't kill your system, it will 9/10 times shut down long before it does any damage.

Not knowing your bios, it should be in the advanced section somewhere.

@ Slay- unless you OC. :p

Thanks for all the replies. I have been fooling with it some more, the posts just will not lock down. I get them all in working diagonally across.....but when setting the pc upright one or more will pop out. It's a clumsy system in my opinion, in combination with a clumsy installer.....I may have damaged the plastic locking system.

I built this system for gaming, but never OC it,....but I think it's been more like 5 yrs ago....Intel's Quad core had just barely entered the marketplace, and NVIDIA's GTX 8800 was top dog GPU. But I retired it last winter and have since built a newer one. My wife uses it for Skype and watching online videos.

It's in an old full tower Antec P160 case....lot's of room, but I just hate to go to the trouble of removing the MB. A stock cooler has gotten it thru the past 4 to 5yrs or so....it should be fine. I am going to the local CompUSA store in the AM. The wife just ain't gonna stand for waiting a week or more for parts to arrive.
(SIGH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom