Shuts off immediately, new Mobo & CPU, works without CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrispaterson82

Beta member
Hi,

I'm stumped. I'm trying to fix my mom's computer that she bought on Ebay (oops, I didn't tell her not to do that). It was not booting to bios and would beep constantly. I figured I would just replace the Motherboard. I bought a new Mobo from Fry's (Gigabyte M61PME-S2P). I installed the motherboard and when I attempted to turn on the computer, it shuts off in under a second. All lights go on and fans start then shuts off immediately. In the process I thought maybe the CPU was faulty so I made another trip back to Fry's and picked one up (AMD Athlon II X2 250). It didn't fix the issue. The interesting thing is, if I remove the processor it runs fine without shutting off. Please HELP!!

SYSTEM SPECS:
Gigabyte M61PME-S2P
AMD Athlon II X2 250
2x DDRII 667 1GB ram (2GB total)
Western Digital 320GB harddrive

PROBLEM:
Computer shuts down immediately.

TRIED:
replacing CPU - didn't work
Unplugging DVD +/- RW - didn't work
Unplugging Hard drive - didn't work
Removing CPU - works

It does have a heatsink mounted to the cpu? Make sure the fan is plugged into the power header labeled CPU.

Beeping can mean a lot of things, but normally it's memory or video related. Try booting it up with one stick of memory at a time and try different memory slots. Then if you can try a different power supply that would be my next move.

If it's not F3, which I 'm not sure if it is or not :-/ How would I update it if I can't even get the computer to run with the cpu in it?

try taking out both sticks of ram, then put 1 stick in and boot with only one inserted.
if you try both sticks at dif times and still have the same result it could be the motherboard.. or power supply.

the on board GPU could be bad.. try inserting a video card that you have laying around if the memory is determened not to be the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom