Shut down in the morning, by afternoon it won't boot at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nizman

Beta member
My computer has been running for quite a while so this morning I decided to shut it down and give it a breather.

I came home on lunchtime and went to boot it and I get absolutely nothing. When I unplug the power cable and turn on the power supply, my power turns on for a split second and then shuts off again and the power button will not work. I bought a new power supply on my way home tonight and installed it and it still does the same thing. Do you think my motherboard crapped out or what?

I unplugged everything from the mobo except power and the cables that hook it to the power button and tried it that way and it does the same crap :(

Anyone have any ideas?

It may be the power supply. Can you get a spare to test it...Or you can bring it to your local shop and they can test it...

That's the problem. I got a new power supply and it does the same thing, that's why I'm thinking when the old power supply stopped working it may have taken the motherboard along with it :(.

Just trying to get a few other opinions before I go buying a new mobo.

I can't stand being computer-less for too long so I have a MSI K8N Diamond Plus NF4SLI 939 on overnight shipping. If a new mobo doesn't help then I guess I'm out of luck.

Since you are getting a new mobo...... take the present mobo out of the case (insulated) and try to power it up with just Cpu and 1 stick of Ram. .... minus your video card( if you have one) and any Hdd, Cd, Fpp.
I thought I read somewhere that the PSU will shut-down if it doesn't get a signal from the mobo verifing proper voltages. So you test with the mobo disconnected may not be a valid test.
I would guess its your Cpu or video card...... but one never knows.
Its a 'learning experience'........ try to find the problem!

I tried that. I get the same result. Nothing.

It's gotta be the mobo, the power button on the case that connects to the mobo does not turn the thing on, and the power button on the power supply only gives the thing power for a split second.

Be sure to post what happens when you get the new mobo please....the same sort of thing happened to my mate last week so i would like to know if its his mobo.

Yeah I guess he did mention he had baught a new power supply.Thats what i get for replying when its late and im tired...
Looks like youll have to wait for the mobo .Sorry Im all out of Ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom