Shut down in the morning, by afternoon it won't boot at all... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 09:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Shut down in the morning, by afternoon it won't boot at all...

My computer has been running for quite a while so this morning I decided to shut it down and give it a breather.

I came home on lunchtime and went to boot it and I get absolutely nothing. When I unplug the power cable and turn on the power supply, my power turns on for a split second and then shuts off again and the power button will not work. I bought a new power supply on my way home tonight and installed it and it still does the same thing. Do you think my motherboard crapped out or what?

I unplugged everything from the mobo except power and the cables that hook it to the power button and tried it that way and it does the same crap

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 02-10-2006, 11:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

It may be the power supply. Can you get a spare to test it...Or you can bring it to your local shop and they can test it...

Old 02-10-2006, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

does sound like a mobo problem unless the power switch just happened to break. but as suggested try another power supply if possible or get it tested. look up how to "jump" a power supply so it will start without a mobo to see if it will power on.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

That's the problem. I got a new power supply and it does the same thing, that's why I'm thinking when the old power supply stopped working it may have taken the motherboard along with it .

Just trying to get a few other opinions before I go buying a new mobo.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Amd2800 Send a message via AIM to Amd2800 Send a message via Yahoo to Amd2800

Hence he said he brought a New PowerSupply

Dell Studio 1747 Laptop
CPU : Intel I7 - Q720 @ 1.66Ghz - Ram: 4GB Ram DDR3 1333Mhz Dual Channel - Mobo : Dell - HDD: 2x 500GB Sata 2 - OS1: Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Quote:
I want a processor in my brain..... Can i upgrade my ram?

Old 02-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I can't stand being computer-less for too long so I have a MSI K8N Diamond Plus NF4SLI 939 on overnight shipping. If a new mobo doesn't help then I guess I'm out of luck.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Since you are getting a new mobo...... take the present mobo out of the case (insulated) and try to power it up with just Cpu and 1 stick of Ram. .... minus your video card( if you have one) and any Hdd, Cd, Fpp.
I thought I read somewhere that the PSU will shut-down if it doesn't get a signal from the mobo verifing proper voltages. So you test with the mobo disconnected may not be a valid test.
I would guess its your Cpu or video card...... but one never knows.
Its a 'learning experience'........ try to find the problem!
Old 02-12-2006, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I tried that. I get the same result. Nothing.

It's gotta be the mobo, the power button on the case that connects to the mobo does not turn the thing on, and the power button on the power supply only gives the thing power for a split second.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Jam3s-Zer0 Send a message via AIM to Jam3s-Zer0 Send a message via Yahoo to Jam3s-Zer0

Be sure to post what happens when you get the new mobo please....the same sort of thing happened to my mate last week so i would like to know if its his mobo.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Yeah I guess he did mention he had baught a new power supply.Thats what i get for replying when its late and im tired...
Looks like youll have to wait for the mobo .Sorry Im all out of Ideas...

Closed Thread