Should I trust what my MB says?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aerowenn

Solid State Member
Well, in November of 2003 I built what was then the ultimate gaming machine, it has worked wonderfully except for burning up a power supply once. But about a month and a half ago it started giving me an audio notification of an error (the MB says specific phrases according to what is wrong). Now since I have surround sound with a subwoofer I'm not sure I understood what the voice said, but it seemed like it said "System failed VGA test" I could just simply turn the machine off and back on and it would usually go through without doing it again. VGA failure would mean a problem with my graphics card of course, BUT, my question is if the CPU was burning up or let's just say reaching the end of its days, could it cause strange things like that to happen? BECAUSE, now when I turn the machine on I get nothing on the monitor, and within a few seconds it begins to repeat the phrase "System failed CPU test" I'm positive that is what the MB is saying this time because I've had numerous people listen, turned down the bass on speakers and all, I just hope that I misunderstood her voice the first few times it happened.

I need some serious advice or ideas here before I order my replacement CPU from newegg today, I've just assumed that it is the problem, but I want to get some oppinions from people more experienced than myself whom may have had a similar problem. Another thing I want to mention that may help the decision, it is an Athlon 64, and it did run over recommended temperature a few times, I actually had to open up the case and fan it with a book to get the temp in a safe zone, that helps me point quickly to the CPU. The way I see it is I have three potential suspects, the CPU, the VGA card, or the Motherboard itself. Please help, give me a list of things it could be, well within reason (most common), or just anything before I empty my bank account. Thanks for reading.

In addition to above I forgot to mention that I have changed the MB battery. I've took the CPU up and turned the power on and the error changes to "No CPU installed". So I've put it back in, and then took the VGA card out and powered up, the error didn't change from the usual "System failed CPU test". Hope this bit of information helps. It's killing me I have to play WoW on my laptop.

Frankly, I have never had a mobo "talk" to me!! Are you taking your meds??? If you meant the "talking" metaphorically then the CPU is taking a dump!!!

Ok let me clear this up, my motherboard is an Asus K8V Deluxe. It does actually "talk" audio comes across the speakers with the error. It is a female voice that gives an error prerecorded of course, it's implemented in case your monitor is down, I don't know, say that your VGA card does go out, how else will you know that it's out unless your mobo has an audio response to the error. So yes it does "talk". It's nothing special, just recorded audio error reports that are tagged to the error so that you can hear them as well as read them (unless your monitor is down), which in my case the monitor isn't coming on since the CPU is probably burnt.

She is trying to tell you your CPU may have problems. However, if the CPU were actually "fried" you would not be able to get the system to POST...when you powered it on absolutely nothing would happen. (Is is a sexy voice? Great, now my mobo is gonna give my dog a bone!!!) Have you checked the BIOS to make sure that the default FSB and core voltages are correct for your CPU? Another thing you might want to try is switching out power supplies and see if the error messages are repeated after another power supply is installed.....If the voltage to the CPU core is too low your system may be reporting a "faulty" CPU when that is not the case. If you don't have a spare PSU laying around, see if hyou can't do a temp swap wiht a friend for diagnotics sake.

Well I would have checked things in the BIOS, but it isn't getting that far. This is happening within about 3 seconds or so of power on. I get nothing on my monitor either so I'm guessing whatever is wrong is being tested first. So for a test of my own I removed the CPU and it gave the error "No CPU installed" as soon as the fans started turning. What I think is my mobo is checking for the CPU first, then running a test before it does anything else, potentially meaning something is wrong. Anyhow I ordered a new CPU from newegg, if nothing else it will be worth the extra power as I ordered one a little faster than my current. If it doesn't work, I think my best option would be to replace the psu probably because I have had trouble in the past with this system and its power supply. Crossing my fingers here, it's getting near the time that I just build a completely new system, once something happens by my experience things just go down hill from there. If you think of any other possibilities please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom