should I replace this memory stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
My new computer refused to start, and after removing one of my sticks of memory it started. I replaced the same stick of memory, and it started.

Question is, should I trust this memory stick or not? Reinstalling it made it work, but is there likely something wrong with the stick?

Thanks

It could have just been making a bad connection and reinstalling the memory fixed it.

What you could do is run a program called Memtest to check the memory for errors. You can not run it from Windows. You have to put Memtest on a cd and boot off that cd. Hope this helps.

Its getting more complicated.

Sometimes when I install a different stick of memory, it will run for awhile, then die mysteriously.

I've tried two different sets of memory.

When there is no memory the mobo always starts.

I think mobo or power supply is messed up.

Not yet. I'll look for a download. I heard about memtest, but I was hoping to delay learning how to use it until later. Maybe now is the time.

The computer is now running on 1 stick from the other pair. Hard to believe both new sticks and one of my old ones is bad. Considering buying 2 new sticks from Best Buy and throwing them in there.

Use this version of Memtest. There's another memtest that isn't as good :D

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

If you want to check the memory slots of the mobo just test each stick of memory one at a time in each of the available memory slots. If both sticks pass in certain slots but fail in others then it maybe the mobo. If one or both sticks randomly fail in all the slots then the memory is bad. This may take quite a bit of time thou.

It is not hard to use Memtest. The hardest part is probably making the cd bootable. Just ask if you need help with it.

If I were you, I would hold off on buying new memory. It sounds like it may be another problem. If you do buy new memory, I wouldn't buy it from Best Buy, they are just to high, I found out the hard way. Costs me like 50 bucks for a single stick of ram.

Is this computer a prebuilt or did you build it yourself?

This is really weird. It probably isn't the memory. The computer starts reliably when it is lying on its SIDE.

Something loose causing a short?

I put it down on its side to change the memory. That's why it starts.

Ugh maybe take out motherboard look for something rolling around behind there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom