Sharing files over the network breaks my network

Status
Not open for further replies.

d0ntcar3

In Runtime
This has been happening for a long time now and It's really irritating.

Anytime I share files through homegroup or other ways. Streaming media from my desktop to my PS3 or to another computer.. the yellow yield sign pops up on my desktop. All other devices work fine so it's just my computer. When i run the windows trouble shoot problems i resets the default gateway and fixes the issue every time.

Not sure how to fix this, and I'd like to be able to stream to my ps3 again.

Any help is welcome!

Could be your antivirus/firewall that is blocking your computer on the network to another device. Try disabling Windows Firewall, your Antivirus, just to verify.

I have tried that. And it doesn't block it right away. Sometimes i can watch 15 minutes of a show or 5 minutes.... Half of a 2gb file... or 200mb. It's very random...but no file or media content is ever completed before the problem presents itself.

JUST my computer. My internet tv is still streaming netflix. I've checked wireless devices and other wires devices in the house. ONLY my computer stops working. So it is something related to my motherboard or something else.

Does downloading or uploading files to an online site cause the same issue?

Do you have updated drivers/firmware for your motherboard?

Update the driver on the NIC (or just uninstall and reinstall). If that doesn't fix it try using an ethernet card on your PC to see if maybe the NIC is going bad.

It only does it when dealing with the LAN. I can upload/download to my hearts content on the internet.

I've also tried updating the drivers, as well as uninstall/reinstall. I'll just chalk it up to a bad NIC. Motherboard is 4 years old. I'm building a new one soon anyways. Was just hoping to sell this one without it having any issues.

Like Lex said, get a pci ethernet card. see if that works fine.

You could still sell it with a bad ethernet port, as long as you provide an alternative pci card.

You should also try setting static values instead of relying on DHCP, do an ipconfig/all from command prompt and copy down default gateway/dns/ip that you're assigned, then set it all manually (except for the IP, maybe nudge that up a few spots to avoid possible conflicts, e.g from 192.168.0.11 to 192.168.0.16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom