Several Hardware Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mystikast

Baseband Member
Okay, here is the layout: I am upgrading my current PC (custom built and runs like a gem) and building a new one from parts laying around..

Current PC:
Asus A8V Delux mobo

1) I bought the sound blaster audigy 2 platinum. Sound cards works perfectly, but I cannot get the addon piece (that allows remote control to work). I am out of IDE ribbon slot connectors (I think that's what their called) on my mobo. I have one from my Harddrove and one from my CD-ROM. I have no where to connect the one from my new addon piece. I tried connecting it with the slave end of my CD-ROM IDE ribbon with no luck. What can I do to get that working?

2) The floppy drive will not detect any discs. I have the ribbon cable running from the drive to the mobo properly. My PC detects the drive.

3) I currently have a marvell yukon onboard 10/100/1000mbps NIC. When I open the baby up in device manager my highest setting is 100mbps full/half. What's going on with this? Where's my 1gs option? Do I need to download extra software?

PC in building:
Old-Genuine Intel (I believe it is, supports P4) mobo
Harddrive: Western digital 100AA 10gb

1) Originally to a drive not detected - system halted. So I checked my IDE cables etc. and tried to boot into BIOS to check to see if my PC was detecting the hard drive (as master). When I was in BIOS, I could not scroll up or down, it was as if my keyboard just stopped working (it was connected fine and I got to bios my pressing DEL+F10). I then shut down and attempted to reboot and get back into BIOS. Since that reboot, I have not been able to get anything on my monitor. The PC boots up fine however nothing is displayed on monitor. The monitor works fine with other PCs however with this one I am building it does not. Any ideas?
2) Whenever a power my floppy drive with a 4pin connector from my power source it smokes and the wire melts, producing a horrible smell. The only thing I have connecting to the drive now is my IDE ribbon for it. Any ideas why it melts all my 4pin connectors? :(
-notes- The hardrive was spinning fine and I could hear it was working well on bootup.

hmm. sounds like the powersupply is goin, ya got another one u can try? that can cuae the melting/bad smell. the lan prob, is ur router isnt a gigabit router, its a 100mbps. to use 1000 u gotta have a gigabit router. on the sound thing, is there jumper settings? it might be permenant master, so try the other drive slave. and floppy read prob, is usu a backwards cable, but not always. u got the right cable? is it a straight cable, or one with a flipped pair of wires? if it has flipped, try straight one, and vice versa. for k/b prob on other pc, try a diff kb, or it might be a jumper on the mobo...(yay 300th post!)

1) my remote only works when i load entertainmnet center settings program and check remote. it always gets unchecked somehow and i have to re check the box every day

mystikast said:
1) I bought the sound blaster audigy 2 platinum. Sound cards works perfectly, but I cannot get the addon piece (that allows remote control to work). I am out of IDE ribbon slot connectors (I think that's what their called) on my mobo. I have one from my Harddrove and one from my CD-ROM. I have no where to connect the one from my new addon piece. I tried connecting it with the slave end of my CD-ROM IDE ribbon with no luck. What can I do to get that working?

...Whaaaa!? you mean this thing here, the 'Audigy Drive':

audigypltdrivean6.jpg

...Are you trying to connect the 40 pin ribbon cable to an IDE port on your motherboard :freak:...?

The ribbon cable should be be connected to the AD_EXT connector on the Audigy Drive, and is supposed to be plugged into the AD_EXT connector on your audigy soundcard...

adextmv9.jpg

...Not on an IDE socket on the motherboard...

idenonoyz1.jpg

The IDE connectors on the motherboard are only for storage device drives.

yes, no affence, but if you couldnt figure out that the Audigy front pannel ribbon cable goes strait to the Audigy Card... perhaps you shouldnt be working on the machine by yourself.

Like others have said, with your HDD issue, check to make shur its jumpers are set correctly.

for your BIOS keyboard problem.... try a different keyboard. if it know longer boots to BIOS, make shur you have your CPU seated correctly with thermal compound on the Heatsink/CPU so it doesnt overheat.

about your floppy -> yes make shur you didnt connect the ribbon cable upside down, if theres not notch on your Floppydrive to prevent this, the Red line on the ribbon is maked for Pin1, Pin1 is marked onyour FLoppy drive, just match them up.

Conserning your Burning wires -> either perhaps you hooked it up backwards to the floppy? or your PSU is FUBAR and you need a new powersupply. <- witch could also be the cause of your Bootup issue or non functioning Keyboard.

NOte - also if you ****ed something up youself(like slipped and dropped a screwdriver on the mobo) you could also possibly just have defective components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom