Several bootup errors, Possible RAM issue, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

krebsnr

Beta member
Well this one is tough, I have a gateway DX4640 Desktop computer which has been doing some weird stuff. One time it just got glitchy and then wouldn't start up right again. Now there are a series of things it does including freezing on boot up after the initial gateway screen appears, blank black screen with blinking white dash in upper left hand corner, randomly when trying to bootup from recovery cd's it will freeze and the text will get static like, it never boots up anymore and I'm not sure what the issue is. The BIOS menu work fine, the hdd was recently wiped on a friends computer so thats fine. I thought it might be the ram, btu was unable to run a mem test from a disc. I have 2- 2Gb sticks of GDDR2-800 128Mx8 1.8V EP Ram when I removed one the problem persisted the same i put it back and removed the other and the screen went nutso. not sure what to do or if it is the ram or even the ports the ram plugs into but it would be nice to hear some other fresh ideas cause im lost with no warranty and no where to go. Thanks

Hello krebsnr,
It does sound like ram, but a lot of problems do.

Remove both sticks of ram, put one stick in ram slot #1, try the machine, then try that ram stick in all the slots, one at a time, repeat with the other stick, this will eliminate the ram and the slots.

Will it boot to safe mode ?.

Also, what OS are you using ?.

Try the ram and post your results, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom