Setting Up Raid 0 with Back Up Drive on a Motherboard with 2 Sata Connectors - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Setting Up Raid 0 with Back Up Drive on a Motherboard with 2 Sata Connectors

I recently ordered two 1T hard drives, a Seagate 7200.12 and a WD Caviar black.

I have an Asus P5VD2-MX motherboard which only has two Sata 1.5 connectors and 1 Jmicron connector.

I orginally canceled the order for the Seagate as I read some bad reviews which put me off, but the store sent it anyway so i'm now thinking of keeping it, which leaves me with 3 Hard Drives (including my original maxtor 200gb).

My question is considering I have two Sata 1.5 connectors and 1 Jmicron connector can I use all three hard drives?

What I want to do is set up raid 0 on the Seagate and WD Drives, and use the maxtor for backing up files (not part of the Raid).

Can I use the Jmicron connector as a normal Sata connector to attach my backup drive?

The only other option I have is to use the Jmicron connector for 1 drive, and the eSata connector for an external drive set up in Raid 0 which would allow the drives to run at the optimum 300gbs, but I don't want an external drive really.

Please help as I am new to all this but really want to get the best use out of my two new drives without having to buy a new motherboard. What's the best solution?

Old 01-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Setting Up Raid 0 with Back Up Drive on a Motherboard with 2 Sata Connectors

Welcome, Clueless!

That gave me a headache reading that, but I think I understand what you are trying to say.

I never liked JMicron. I got myself a Controller card: - SYBA SD-SATA150R PCI SATA Controller Card - Controllers / RAID Cards

It worked fine for me.

__________________ Steam Account
Old 01-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n
Default Re: Setting Up Raid 0 with Back Up Drive on a Motherboard with 2 Sata Connectors

Seems a weird way around to do it. I would use the 200GB drive as normal and add the two 1TB drives in RAID 1 for backing everything up.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Closed Thread