Setting up dual-monitors using two video cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfink85

Beta member
Hello everyone. I'm having a bit of trouble here setting up a dual monitor extended display between my desktop and laptop and I'll try to be as descriptive as possible.

Desktop:
Dell Vostro 220s Slim Tower (click for complete specs)
Windows 7

I installed a NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT PCI-Express card and my main monitor is hooked to that using a DVI connector. This leaves the on board VGA port completely open.

Laptop:
HP DV6736NR (click for complete specs)
Windows 7
There is an open VGA port on this laptop.

--

On my desktop, the only display adapter listed in Device Manager is my NVIDIA card. When I plug the VGA in to each of the two computers, it is not detecting the other in my Screen Resolution opens. I think this has something to do with my on board video card not being active but I could be wrong. I hit CTRL+P and tried to scan for a detection that way and still nothing. I shut down my desktop (leaving the cord in) and my main monitor with the DVI connection just stayed black. I unplugged the VGA connection, booted it up again, and everything worked as normal. I believe I tried setting the laptop to projector only (hitting CTRL+P) to see if the desktop would boot to just the laptop screen using the VGA connection but that wouldn't work either. It just stayed black.

I'm all out of ideas. Can someone please help me?

You can only use 1 VGA output at a time, you cannot use both your GFX card AND your on-board. Also you cannot hook up your desktop with your laptop :umm:. You can however hook up your laptop or desktop to an external monitor (tv, monitor, etc) or to a projector.

Edit: In other words -
PC -> 2nd Monitor or Projector (Yes).
Laptop -> 2nd Monitor or Projector (Yes).
Pc -> Laptop (No).
Laptop -> Pc (No).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom