Setting Up Dual Monitors problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Setting Up Dual Monitors problem

I am trying to set up my computer so i can have 2 monitors so i can do work or other things on my main monitor and watch stuff on the other monitor which is my t.v.

I have plugged my vga cable into the back of my computer on the motherboard section and the other end into the back of my t.v.

right clicked on my desktop clicked extend my desktop and i also had to do this on my ATI Catalyst control system, put my t.v on RGB output and listed the input label as pc and my t.v kept saying 'No signal'.

what am i doing wrong?

Old 09-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: Setting Up Dual Monitors problem

if the tv is on RGB for the source (or input) then you won't receive a signal. Make sure the TV input is on VGA.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

how would i find the input for VGA i dont think i have one?!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

If your TV has a VGA input then it has a VGA source setting. Cycle through the source options on the TV, it should be listed as PC, or VGA. It looks like you might have had it on PC, but in your original post it was unclear and I justed wanted to verify that you had it on the right input.

Also I'm assuming your graphics card is supporting your non TV monitor, if so, the onboard GPU is going to be disabled, and you'll only be able to run another monitor off of your GPU.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

my tv is LG and my output options are... AV1, AV2, COMPONENT, RGB, HDMI.
i have it set on RGB and input label PC at the moment.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Ok, looking in the back of the TV where you connected to the VGA cable and see if there's a label above it, if there is then that's the source you should be after. Also if you're using 2 different GPU's to support 2 monitors then it won't be picked up at all. Have you tried to connect only the monitor and figure out the settings on that, and then add in the monitor you already have configured correctly.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

where i plugged the vga cable in the label says ... RGB (PC)
Old 09-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Ok. Try only connecting the TV on the RGB port and see if it comes up.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thats what it says at the moment ... my computer monitor is plugged in to my dvi adapter on my graphics card slot and my tv is plugged in via VGA on the other port. still nothing
Old 09-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

ok, try running just the TV.

Closed Thread