Serious hardware issue can't figure out what/why!?

Just to add as well, I can only RMA something if I do it by tomorrow, so this is the last night I can test anything because I'm just going to RMA the PSU at this point and pray that's whats wrong. If you can think of me testing anything else please let me know. I'm on for another hour or two.

Hi! I'm very sorry for interfering with your thread. I don't know what happened to S0ULphIRE
I guess I should have minded my own business. It looks like you know what you're doing.
I didn't mean to steep on toes. I hope the PSU is what's causing your problems.
I'm sorry I couldn't read and decipher all your info you posted. Well done!! I'm sure you will get-er-done!
Gary!

Sorry, super tied up at work at the moment. I'll be back on in an hour or so, if I think of anything else I'll post up!

Hi! I'm very sorry for interfering with your thread. I don't know what happened to S0ULphIRE
I guess I should have minded my own business. It looks like you know what you're doing.
I didn't mean to steep on toes. I hope the PSU is what's causing your problems.
I'm sorry I couldn't read and decipher all your info you posted. Well done!! I'm sure you will get-er-done!
Gary!

I wish/hope. It took me 5 years to save for this damn PC.. (i'm quiet poor) and now that I could finally build a new one I.. ran into all these issues. It's been nothing but drama/stress ever since I bought it. but this isn't the place for my sob story I guess! Thanks for at least trying to help. It's more then most people do.

Sorry, super tied up at work at the moment. I'll be back on in an hour or so, if I think of anything else I'll post up!

Thanks. I'll sadly only be awake for another hour and 15mins. But i'll keep checking in. I'll be giving up tomorrow though to RMA the PSU. If it turns out to be the Mobo.. I don't know what I'm going to do. ; ;

OK. Back. Typing post now :p

If you think it's possibly the PSU at fault, you can try meshing the PCs together. Leave your old PC all wired up etc, but then take the 6/8 pin power cords for the graphics card and plug them into the card while it's still installed in the new PC. Make sense? The new PC is exactly the same as it always is, but power to the card is coming from your old PC.

I doubt it's the PSU though

Btw, just double checking here - you installed the new motherboard's chipset drivers yes?

Last edited:
OK. Back. Typing post now :p

If you think it's possibly the PSU at fault, you can try meshing the PCs together. Leave your old PC all wired up etc, but then take the 6/8 pin power cords for the graphics card and plug them into the card while it's still installed in the new PC. Make sense? The new PC is exactly the same as it always is, but power to the card is coming from your old PC.

I doubt it's the PSU though

I don't .. get how that'd work sadly no. I don't know how i'd be able to test things that way? but then again a friend built the pc not me. I don't think i'd get the wires to reach from one pc to another either. Since I cannot take out the powersupply out of the old case as it's embedded.

and if not the PSU what could it be? never thought a new PC would be so depressing. :(

My money would be on the motherboard rather than the PSU to be honest. The 660 isn't a power hungry beast at all, and your single 12v rail should handle it with ease. Though I guess if it's partially damaged and outputting a dirty voltage (i.e. fluctuating or inconsistent power out) then it *could* cause some issues? Again my money would be on the mobo before I suspected the psu

What I meant re the power cables is take your OLD pc, unplug the 6-pin power cord that goes into the graphics card, and try to plug that into the 660 in the NEW pc. Usually you have to put the cases right next to each other to get it to reach, be creative haha

Back
Top Bottom