Serious hardware issue can't figure out what/why!? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2015, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to HeeRoMaKi Send a message via MSN to HeeRoMaKi
Default Serious hardware issue can't figure out what/why!?

Alright so I built a new PC and my video card 660 GTX was hardcrashing the PC and sometimes the video drivers would pop up saying the video card driver had to recover from not responding, other times the whole computer just freezes and I had to restart.
So I put in the 550 TI I have and the computer was working fine, so I thought the 660 must of broke right? well no because I put the 660 back into the old pc, and I am playing games just fine on it.
What possibly could be wrong with the new PC that one video card would work, the other doesn't?
I had reformatted the new PC twice to start over software wise, tried many drivers (like the one on my old computer that is working fine) and still had the issue so I just don't know how I could fix a "driver" issue if there was one on the new pc.

New PC :
Mobo : MSI z97 Gaming 5
Powersupply : Corsair CX600M 600w
Ram: Cosair Vengeance 8gb
CPU: i5-4460 LGA1150
Old PC
CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 940 Processor
Mobo : Asus M3A78
PSU : 500w
Ram : 8GB

I believe I have found out it is infact NOT the video card as you suggested by someone else. This is what I have done today so far;

I switched PCI-E slots in the motherboard of the NEW PC with the 660, Which cause even more issues then last time. The drivers were crashing and the computer freezing even at the desktop, I didn't even need to get into a game. I then changed the PCIE Power cord going into the card after trying another wire. Same issue.
Once that was a problem I put the 660 back into the OLD PC, It works fine, played 10 minutes of Metal Gear.

I put the 550 back into the FIRST PCI-E slot where the cards were going orginally, played 10 more minutes of metal gear, everything seems to be working fine. No crash at desktop, nothing.

I tried to take out my PSU from the old PC, it is embeded and I do not think I can take it out of the case. I don't think switching PSU's is an option for me.

Please help on what else I can do to trouble shoot, or is it obviously the PSU?

HeeRoMaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Serious hardware issue can't figure out what/why!?

Sometimes other drivers can interfere with nVidia drivers (Realtek is a prime offender). What's listed under your "Sound, video and game controllers" list in Device Manager?

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Your PSU is fine, that can support it, I guess you have seated it correctly given the amount of times you tried..

So Soul may be right, clashing drivers.. let us know whats under Devmgmt and also what driver you installed for your GPU
Old 09-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

But wouldn't driver problems happen no matter what video card is in it? Though I just woke up so I am going to get lunch and settled in, then back to it so i'll post in about an hour or so an update of whats there. Though I know I am using 355.60 drivers right now for nvidia as thats whats on the old computer so I wanted to make sure they were running the same drivers. Since everything works fine on the old PC
Old 09-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Hi ! Can you not use this to uninstall the drivers??
How-To Uninstall AMD Catalyst Drivers From A Windows Based System
donetao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

This utility should be used to remove drivers, after running the uninstaller:
Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 15.4.1.1

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Hi Carnage! Don't want to interfere. Looks like a great App. May I ask a stupid question?
Which down load would I choose in the link you posted. Some times I'm thick headed! LOL.
Are they different or just different down load links??
Thanks!
Gary!
donetao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
Sometimes other drivers can interfere with nVidia drivers (Realtek is a prime offender). What's listed under your "Sound, video and game controllers" list in Device Manager?
Alright I am on, and ready to go, 660 is IN the new pc. that I am currently on.

Nvidia drivers currently : 355.82

Device manager > Sound, video Game controllers >
NVIDIA High Definition Audio Device
Realtek High Definition Audio

I don't install nvida's audio drivers or nvidia experience when I install the video drivers, Should I? and what do I do at this point? the computer doesn't crash at desktop at the moment but still does/drivers crash in any game with the 660 GTX in. which doesn't happen at all with the 550 ti in the computer i'm so confused, I been at this since Friday none stop.... so please excuse if I seem frustrated, impatient. I really need help, as I got the parts 3 and a half weeks ago, I won't be able to do the 30 day return policy from newegg unless I know what to send back by friday..

Edit : Also to add, I just did memtest86 just incase, everything passed.

Edit 2: I have updated windows (saw an update under others) and it installed a nvidia driver for some odd reason, so I ended up just installing the newest drivers which I updated the post to reflext the new device manager and version im using. I also installed EVGA Precision and notice while playing metal gear, it says my memory clock is at 0MHz is that normal? (Edit again, alt tabbed and the it went to 3005MHz
Old 09-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by donetao View Post
Hi Carnage! Don't want to interfere. Looks like a great App. May I ask a stupid question?
Which down load would I choose in the link you posted. Some times I'm thick headed! LOL.
Are they different or just different down load links??
Thanks!
Gary!
The one at the bottom is the latest version 15.4.1.1 I've also used the DDU for a while now its a great program.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

My thinking with the driver conflict was based on elimination - the only major difference I can see between your old/new PC as far as the video card is concerned is the motherboard. To that end, the first and easiest thing to check is drivers for the hardware in question.

I couldn't say why exactly it would happen only with the 660 and not the 550, but worth a check IMO. Just uninstall any motherboard-related drivers (sound, onboard graphics, etc) and see if crashes still occur. If they do we can at least rule that out nice and easy

The next thing I'd check is settings in BIOS related to the PCIe slot you're using, and may as well disable any video settings not related to your card as well (memory sharing etc). Basically try to simplify the situation as much as you possibly can.

Are you also running the latest BIOS version on the new mobo ? MSI USA - Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote