seperating process from heat sync - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 07:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default seperating process from heat sync

I recently purchased a new motherboard and want to use my original processor, but it is stuck to the heat sync and I would like to know if anybody has a recommened way of seperating the processor because I don't think it can be installed properly by just pushing it back onto the motherboard.

Any ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Jay

Old 07-20-2006, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Heat it up with a hair dryer then twist it (heatsink) gently until it pulls off.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to King X13

i wouldnt really suggest taking a hair dryer to a cpu, i mean if he leaves it there for to long he will ruin his chip.

you can pry it off with a tiny screw driver, like the small ones you find in many computer tool kits or eye glass kits, you wont break the chip cuz the silver compound will give way before chip breaks, ive done it many times on the dell systems at the school i work for. if you really concerned about breaking the chip, plug the computer up and run the chip for a few min to heat up the silver and then power down and it should be loose enough to pull off.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re:

Hello,

What's between the CPU and the heatsink...a thermal pad, thermal compound, or thermal adhesive?

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 07-20-2006, 03:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Use the hair dryer on the heatsink not the CPU and pull it off.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for all your help!

I was able to pop the processor off the heatsink much easier than I thought. As soon as I slightly pushed on the adhesive, the processor just popped right off.

To answer Alvin's question, I don't know how to tell what's been used between the processor and the heatsink. If I had to guess, I would say a thermal pad was used only because there is a cross-hatch pattern which would appear to be from some type of pad.

Now that I have re-installed the same processor and heatsink, should I re-apply some type of adhesive? Or will the processor heat up and reseal itself to the heatsink using the old adhesive/pad?

I know these may sound like dumb questions, but this is my first time dealing with motherboards and processors.

I really appreciate the responses to my post.

Thanks,

Jay
Old 07-21-2006, 12:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Pepsiboy700 Send a message via MSN to Pepsiboy700

Please get some thermal paste so we dont have to hear about the cpu frying or the computer only running for 5 minutes at a time. Arctic Silver 5 is good. Can be found at www.newegg.com

HD 5750 @ 850/2400
Thermaltake 630W
Antec Lanboy Air
Closed Thread