Second Hard Drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Second Hard Drive

I recently purchased a computer from iBuyPower, and please, don't turn this into a "You shoulda bought from [insert name here].." forum, just try and help me out. Well it's a laptop, and I was supposed to have a 120 gig hard drive. But apparently it has two seperate drives, the regular drive C: which Windows Vista is on, is only 30 gigs, and the backup drive F: which has nothing on it, is 90 gigs. Theres my 120 gigs, but I just want one big drive, or at least not have 90 gigs allocated to a backup. I don't know if this is something specific to Windows Vista or not because I've never used Vista before so I don't know if maybe it's a virtual backup drive and I can just change how much is allocated to the backup drive or what. Any help here?

EDIT:
I just checked on my hardware stuff and it is physically one drive it's just for some reason two seperate drives.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Second Hard Drive

Some PC manufactuers do that. Heck I do it on my PC at home. makes it easy if I have to reformat to keep my data.

If you want one big partition just download Gparted, burn it to a CD then boot to it. Gparted is freeware able to modify a partition without losing data.

Oh and actually I love Ibuypower.com so no worries there. Good PCs, Good Prices.

ECS (pile of crap) Mobo
1.5 GB Corsair PC3200
Soundblaster Audigy Pro
Windows XP Pro, Lemming Optimized.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I want the second drive I just don't want 90 gigs on there. Maybe 5 gigs or so. I think it's annoying to have to constantly switch drives. And Steam automatically saves to the C: drive so there's no room for all my Steam games.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

yeah Gparted will allow you to change the sizes to whatever you want. So just download that.

SourceForge.net: Files
ECS (pile of crap) Mobo
1.5 GB Corsair PC3200
Soundblaster Audigy Pro
Windows XP Pro, Lemming Optimized.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Actually nevermind, I got a message back from the ibuypower tech guys, it's a simple thing to do with right clicking computer/manage/and then disk management and it's pretty straightforward from there.
Closed Thread