Seasonic PS issue

Dauntae

Fully Optimized
I'm Upgrading a friend's PC and his PS just came in, The Seasonic 620w which I've used a lot on builds but before I put it in his system I decided to put it I my tester and the 3.3 volt lights up to 3.4v which is good but after a few seconds it drops down to 2.8v Is that a power savings option because no real draw on it or should I be RMA ing this one, I put the tester on a known good PS and its reading right on all voltages consistently, It's just the fact that it goes to 3.4 then drops every time that's making me wonder. 2.8 is a little lower than I'd like.
The PS in question
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096

Dauntae

Last edited:
I don't think you can get an RMA because even though there is some fluctuation, it is within spec of +-10%. But it certainly would hurt to find out if you can, could be your meter could be causing some of the variances too?

I don't think you can get an RMA because even though there is some fluctuation, it is within spec of +-10%. But it certainly would hurt to find out if you can, could be your meter could be causing some of the variances too?

Actually it IS more than 10% I still find it strange that it goes to 3.4 V then drops to 2.8v after a few seconds, I'm actually trusting the meter because I've tried it on a third PS and all of them read correctly in voltage except this Seasonic and the readings are consistent, Well it got warrenty so I'm going to install and if any issues come up then we'll do the RMA.

Actually, the readings your getting is with in margin of error...

PSU has +/- of 10% for each rail
That meter has +/- of 0.1v

Which means you could dip as low as 2.87v from what I am seeing in all honesty, and if that tester is as stupid as I think it is, then it will only display the first decimal with out rounding up.

Seriously, with $20 testers, take their readings with a grain of salt, they are nothing more than a multi-meter. that checks multiple sources at one time. A proper power supply tester can apply loads of varying degrees to test each rail.

Last edited:
If only you knew how inaccurate the majority are. I have a few here that are as far as 250v off because of misuse. Even have one brand new out of a package from walmart for $40 here that's about 0.5v off.

If only you knew how inaccurate the majority are. I have a few here that are as far as 250v off because of misuse. Even have one brand new out of a package from walmart for $40 here that's about 0.5v off.

Why do you keep buying them then? lmao :cool:

Back
Top Bottom