Searching for a Compatiable VISTA wireless adapter - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Searching for a Compatiable VISTA wireless adapter

Hey there

i have bought two PCI wireless adapters to add to my custom built comp. I am running vista ULTIMATE 64bit version. The two i tried don't work... I have bought(and returned) a d-link and a linksys wireless pci adapter. It would recognize the peice of hardware but the drivers wouldn't install properly. I tried a couple of ways to get them to work with no luck. Also i downloaded the drivers from the website for vista and they didn't work... Anyone know of a wireless adapter pci card (or anything) to get me goin? is there any usb ones that work for vista?

thanks alot
dbtr

Old 05-07-2007, 05:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

Send a message via MSN to Nick
Default Re: Searching for a Compatiable VISTA wireless adapter

netgear range max wpn311 works great with vista

if you live in the US:
Newegg.com - NETGEAR WPN311 IEEE 802.11b/g PCI RangeMax Wireless Adapter up to 108Mbps Data Rates Hardware-based 40/64-bit & 128-bit WEP encryption WPA-PSK - Retail

or the U.K
Netgear WPN311 RangeMax Wireless PCI Adapter

hope that helped

Old 05-07-2007, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Hello,

Because you have the 64-bit version of Windows Vista installed, all drivers for hardware devices must be digitally signed, otherwise Vista will not install them.

This requirement for Vista x64 intends to ensure greater stability.

You cannot download and install Windows 2000 / Windows XP drivers in Windows Vista x64, nor can you download and install Windows Vista 32-bit drivers. They must be Windows Vista 64-bit drivers that are signed.

Currently, D-Link and Linksys do not provide any 64-bit Vista drivers for any of their PCI wireless NICs (though linksys do provide 32-bit Vista drivers). So before you buy new hardware, you must check whether the manufacturer provides a 64-bit Vista driver for the device.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 05-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks guys i apprciate the quick response and help. I am going to try and track down one of the adapaters mentioned in the first post.

Its funny that two of the bigger companies still don't have vista support. I guess thats how it is for alot of companies with a new OS out, as they want to make sure it runs very well and stable to not bog up thier customer service channels.

Cheers m8s
Old 05-07-2007, 11:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Talking Re: Searching for a Compatiable VISTA wireless adapter

Quote:
if you live in the US:
Newegg.com - NETGEAR WPN311 IEEE 802.11b/g PCI RangeMax Wireless Adapter up to 108Mbps Data Rates Hardware-based 40/64-bit & 128-bit WEP encryption WPA-PSK - Retail

or the U.K
Netgear WPN311 RangeMax Wireless PCI Adapter

hope that helped
canadian btw ... i'll track it down though
Old 05-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

hey nick.. is there any others out there i may be able to pick up locally at a FUTURESHOP.ca or a STAPLES Business Depot | BUREAU EN GROS

thanks alot!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

haha i find it funny future shop only carriers DLINK and LINKSYS ... the two companies that don't support the new operating system.. corporate ******bags

Closed Thread