seagate harddrive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve28

Beta member
Hi guys,

I'm really in desperate need of help right now. My harddrive just died and all my essays and school stuff are in it and the due dates are within days.

So I turned on my pc this afternoon,did some stuff and turned it off,then i wanted to turn it on again but the harddrive is no longer detected by BIOS.The bios gives the typical message of no harddrive detected,plz insert boot media and press a key blah blah blah.i also noticed that the whole start up becomes incredibly slow,even for loading the bios setup. I bought this new pc during xmas and its just been a lil bit over 3 months.

seagate barracuda 7200.11 500Gbytes
motherboard is Asus P5QL Pro
4gig mem.
geforce 9800gt
intel 2.5Ghz

the machine's been perfectly normal for 3 months except very occassional blue screens,and now the hd is not dectected all of a sudden.

i did not install anything or remove anything in hardware/software,i tried a different sata cable for dvd-rw which is recognized by bios,plugging into a different sata plug on the motherboard,and nothing happens.

when i start the machine i can hear that there's a couple clicks in the harddrive,so obviously its still running,but after that its all silence and there's no activity at all thereafter.

does this indicate a dead harddrive that can only be replaced?is there any chance i can recover the data on the harddrive?

thx tons for any reply!!!

This happened like a day ago for me with the same drive. I fixed it by resetting the cmos, it was either that or the cable was loose (because i took it out and put it back in) so check the cables, if that does not do it, try a cmos flash.

EDIT: wait, the cmos flash fixed my 1tb drive, not the 7200.11, my bad.

A few batches of the 7200.11's shipped with bad firmware which sounds like it could be your problem.

The common symptoms of this issue are that the drive on the next reboot will not be detected in BIOS. A variation of this issue is that the drive will be detect only at "0GB". You can hear the drive power up, the platters spin and the drive will look and sound perfectly fine. If your data is replaceable then your drive should still be under warranty. Seagate charges 20 dollars for return package service.

Re: Barracuda 7200.11 firmware- What we know... - Internal (ATA and Serial ATA) drives - Seagate Community Forums

ok i tried to reset the cmos and it doesnt work.....im so ****ed for the essays....finished pretty much everything now its all gone!!!!

any suggestions on data recoverage?

The 7200.11 drives were plagued by bad firmwares. Try flashing your drive with the newest firmware. You can check their site for the latest version. To flash your firmware you download an ISO file from Seagate's website, burn it to a blank CD, and use that CD to boot your PC. You must connect your hard drive to the computer's internal SATA ports (not a USB enclosure or USB adapter). Boot the ISO and follow the prompt. It will write the firmware to the drive and then reboot the PC. I updated my 7200.11 1.5TB to the new firmware for it and it is working fine (though I didn't have a problem before, but I just wanted to be sure it wouldn't break).

ok i will try that before taking the hd to the pc store where i bought my pc....hopefully it will work.

thanks very much for the info.

ok latest update.called seagate,turns out the only solution is sending the hd to seagate's data recovery centre.if they determine that the problem is caused by firmware issues,then the data recovery fee will be covered by seagate.

ouch why Wasn't I notified of bad firmware issues on Seagate? I just bought a 1TB not to long ago >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom