Seagate External 160's

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurt2439

Baseband Member
Well this isn't so much of a problem as just a heads up, or umm, me *****ing. If you ever buy a Seagate External Drive, at least the new ones that are square and ugly, don't ever hope to take it apart! I had to take one apart for a customer today that blew her circuitry and needed the data and these things are just not meant to be played with. The cover is a plastic nightmare to take off, which will definately result in broken tabs and then they use tamper proof screws to keep you from getting any further. Had to drill the screws to get at it. I can understand the desire to keep poeple out of the product to make RMA's better for the company but, well I dont like it. So in the event that you were thinking of buying a pre-assembled external drive (bad idea anyway) with thoughts of maybe one day putting the drive into your computer, don't buy a Seagate!

Oh and don't plug your laptop power supply with 19 volts into an external hard drive meant to handle 12 volts either. Who would have thought that would be a bad idea??
People...

lmao, i had the same problem about 2 weeks ago. There are some stupid people out there. A guy plugged in his laptop power supply directly into the external, fried the circuitry, and brought it to me with the laptop power suplly still attached. What a moron!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom