Seagate Barracuda 160g really 160g?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teufel

Baseband Member
i have a new pc with the Barracuda 7200.9 SATA - ST3160811AS HD
but when i look at it with explorer it only shows 127 g not around 160g.
the seagate web site says that after formating it should show aqround 160g.but the customers service tell me this is normal becaus of the operating filse and things like that.ok this take some place but the total space of my drive should be around 160 no?and when i installed windows the HD was also indicating 127g on the windows installer.
what should i see as total capacity????

Update Windows to SP2 and Flash BIOS.

Even with that done it will not be 160 GB. You never get exactly the advertised amount due to software and manufacture differences and formatting.

i know it will not be 160g.but i find that 33g less is a bit to much.......
and i already have service pack 2 installed.i will try my motherboard bios and to enable 48 bits manualy.

oki a added the values to the registery.i did not upgrade my motherboard bios yet but their wen site says the present bios is suporting 48bit HDD.
is there a way to check if this is the HD that is not good?

nitestick said:
the space is there but is unpartitioned and unformatted.
i did some test with tools from seagate web site.when i check the HD for errors or thingd like that it come up at 160gigs.
but when i did a file system check it show 137gigs.(even if windows see only 127)
here are the results of that test:
Results for volume C: (NTFS)
Volume Label:
Volume Size: 137.43 GB

Some files on the volume are open. This may effect the accuracy of the file system check and result in false errors.

The file system contains errors that need to be repaired.

what do i have to do to have my 160gigs(or close to it)????

Do u see the 33g as unpartitioned space? Try using Partitionmagic to format and combine it with the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom