seagate 80gigs failing..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either pulling the 4-pin molex from the hard drive, or pulling the main power cord from the outlet.

If it's failing like that, I would just get a new one. Hard drives are very inexpensive, these days.

Especially when people rather go for Speed > Space.

To the thread starter: If an HDD is failing, it can be the life span of the HDD is dieing. Get a new one from Fry's because they usually have open boxed ones but it still works at it's best.

thanks guys...just one thing...i have to buy one that match mine...
this is a dell oem seagate ST380021A

It doesn't need to match up. All HDD are the same except for the transfer and power slots. IDE and Molex go together while SATA and it's power cable go together. Just remember, when you buy an HDD, make sure it's compatible with your motherboard. Some runs only IDE, some runs only SATA, and some runs both.

another question related to this issue....like a couple a months ago...after this hd started to fail..i wipe it out with killdisk...and that 80gigs took me like 3-1/2 hours.[1pass]...is it ok,,or is because that the hd was not ok alreadey..
-i report other people that has much bigger hd's like 320..wiping th disk in 1 hours[1pass] is this true?..
-i also tried the seagate tools...and it reports .."FILE SYSTEM FAILED'...

I think formatting also depends on the reading speed of the Optical Drive. When I first built my computer and hooked up my Sony Optical Drive, took about 2 hours to reformat and about another hour just to do the setup. But with this Emprex Optical Drive a buddy gave me, took less then an hour to do the setup and a full reformat.

guys..i'm not talking about reformat hard drive..i said to wipe out...using programs like kildisk or wipedrive....
reformat th pc takes for me like 40 minutes...
..and like i said in other forums other people reports wiping the hard drive ""before reformating it' takes 1 hour for 320 gig hard drive..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom