SCSI, not seeing Striped - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default SCSI, not seeing Striped

Hey, strange one for me but I'm new to all this anyway. I'm setting up a Raid-0 with two Atlas 10k IV drives, the 36gig ones. I plugged them both into an old ATTO ul2d card and Windows XP sees them both.

I can format them each for their own drive letter, and they work perfectly on their own. However, once I try to do a STRIPED Raid in XP it says striped but has the disk space and performance of a spanned. It makes no dang sense to me. Here's an image to illustrate:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...y2003/raid.jpg

I'm missing something REAL dumb and I know it, but don't know what it is!! Anyone? please?!

Old 10-10-2006, 03:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

http://www.informit.com/articles/art...&seqNum=3&rl=1

Old 10-10-2006, 03:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

a raid 0 stripped array will appear to be 1 drive with twice the size of the origionals (36gb + 36gb=72gb) with no redundancy. a raid 1 mirrored array will appear to be 1 drive with the same size as the origionals (36gb + 36gb = 36gb) each drive contains the same information and either one can fail without loosing info. a raid 0 array will indeed look like spanned disk I think you got your terms mixed up.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 10-10-2006, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by hefemeister
a raid 0 stripped array will appear to be 1 drive with twice the size of the origionals (36gb + 36gb=72gb) with no redundancy. a raid 1 mirrored array will appear to be 1 drive with the same size as the origionals (36gb + 36gb = 36gb) each drive contains the same information and either one can fail without loosing info. a raid 0 array will indeed look like spanned disk I think you got your terms mixed up.
Hrm...from the link above your post:

"Striped volumes store data in stripes across two or more physical disks. Data in a striped volume is allocated evenly and across (in stripes) the disks of the striped volume. Storing files in this manner increases the write/read speed to and from your disks."

Allocated evenly across the disks. I'm reading that as your mirrored array example.

Some time ago I had two other scsi drives that I was able to make into the Striped array and it indeed doubled the performance of the drives but was the size of the smaller of the two. Now, about a week later, I can't seem to do the same thing with these drives.

oops..saved it twice. Anyway, there's a 4 meg/sec difference between striped and simple.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

you still got it a bit wrong. look at this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redunda...ependent_disks

scroll down and look at the diagrams for raid 0(stripped) and raid 1 (mirrored). a raid 0 array will run faster but is not double the speed. I have 2 raptors i use in raid 0 for os and games and it is fast just not twice as fast as 1.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 10-10-2006, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ahhh you're absolutely right...obviously. Hey I said I was new at all this haha.

So why almost no performance gain at all? The Striped setup is a mere 4meg/sec faster even after repeated tests. The ATTO UL2D card I'm using is awful old but claims 80 meg/sec. Even using two scsi cards I still only see about 57 meg/s. Do I just need better cards? Likely a driver issue? I'd buy a better card if I was sure I could hit 80-90 meg/sec but I don't really think that's it.

Closed Thread