Scsi & Ide With Xp Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbul2004

Beta member
Hi,

I am having a problem with one of the computers at work. When i turned it on one day the XP screen on startup would not load. The xp logo just hung and would not bring the desktop up. The loading bar continued to move from left to right. Windows XP Pro.

We decided after alot of trying to get it working to reinstall XP Pro on that drive over the top. To see if this would solve the problem.

However, we installed XP but it went onto one of the other drives E: Which has an IDE. The main drive we have is a SCSI. So now we were left with two drives both having XP Pro on them.

So now we formated the E drive to get rid of the XP Pro. Hopeing that we would be left with a clean drive for data etc. This is the IDE drive! And have the SCSI drive for Windows XP Pro.

Now the problem is when both hard drives are connected it 1st looks at the formatted drive 1st which is the IDE. and XP will not load as that is on the other drive the SCSI.

How do i get it to look at the SCSI drive 1st and not the IDE drive for it to load XP and look at the IDE drive as a clean data drive?

Hope someone can give us some info or guideance!

Cheers
Paul

Sounds like a misplaced jumper setting or an issue with the boot load order. Also, I know that SCSI devices are very picky about their placement in the drive order. I'd check the BIOS for any specific SCSI related settings.

you'll need drivers for the SCSi controller. when the XP disk loads, it should say "press F6 to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver"
pres F6 then
and you'll need to find drivers to install for that particular SCSI controller

Disconnect the IDE drive.
Boot from XP install CD.
Enter recovery console.
Type "bootfix"
Type "bootcfg /rebuild" (don't forget the space)
Reboot
Enter BIOS
Set the SCSI disk as primary boot device.

SCSI controller drivers should already be installed because Windows worked before.

If Windows boots, re-connect the IDE disk (you can also disable it in BIOS instead of unplugging it.

After Windows booted, format the IDE disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom