SCSI HDD not spinning down during shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-R-Cist

Beta member
Hi all, new to this place, looks pretty good, hoping i can get some help :)

Ive recently upgraded my ancient system to a lesser ancient, but for what im using it for it does me well.

Anyway, i used to run a P4 2.8 1.5gb DDR400 system with 2 ATA HDD and a RAID 5 SCSI setup which held 4 146gb 10kRPM drives.
The raid controller is a MegaRAID SCSI 320-1 controller.

Running XP on one ATA drive and W7 on the other, and the SCSI drives held all my programs and data.
I was running a Gigabyte ga-8sg800 mobo and my raid controller plugged in to the PCI ports.

I have recently acquired a mobo which supports 800 FSB chips so i upgraded, as i had a p4 2.8 800 chip sitting there doing nothing. This motherboard is one from an HP D530, and uses an Intel 865G Chipset

Transition went well, installed fresh copy of XP SP3 and all the drivers for the SCSI controller and what not, however, when i shut down my system now the SCSI drives seem to perform an emergency park, there is a loud tick as power is cut. Previously this would never happen, i could hear the drives spinning down and then power would be cut.
When i start the pc up again, the drives start grinding away, sounds more like the heads are moving back and forth rather than a scraping sound. then after a few seconds, the RAID card initializes and disks spin up correctly and im on my way...

The drives dont do this if i simply restart, only when i power the pc down and back up again.

I have the latest drivers from the manufacturers website, and have all the latest updates for the OS.

i have searched desperately but cant seem to find an answer.
I would like to know how i can make the drives spin down and park before windows shuts down.

if anyone can help that would be great!

I'm a little confused here....

The drives will usually spin after Windows has shut down, right?

The drives cant stop and then Windows shuts down, correct?

I'm familiar with DL380's and never experienced this issue before. Do all the drives do this? Any errors reporting?

Did you update the SCSI controllers as well?

Is your system exactly the same as it was before minus the mobo?

Sorry about the confusion, hopefully this will clear it up.

The drives drives dont spin after windows has shut down, they are being stopped abruptly, so instead of spinning down and resting on the CSS, power is just cut off and the heads quickly flick back. This is the loud noise i can hear when i shut down.

No errors reporting in event viewer, not about the disks anyway. health status of the RAID is ok and only the SCSI drives do this, the other ATA drives i can hear spin to a gentle stop.

The system is identical to what it was before, the only difference is the motherboard and CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom