Screen turns off but computer still on - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Screen turns off but computer still on

Hi, i have a strange problem with my friends computer and can't figure it out. As i said the Pc screen turns off but the pc still running.

I changed the power supply a couple of weeks ago but he told me that it happened again. I tested all the hardware and everything seems fine. Could it be the monitor? Because i left it for two days straight at my place and nothing happened! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Screen turns off but computer still on

Welcome to TF!

It might be his backlight in his LCD is flickering.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

It could be the monitor going into standby mode.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 04-15-2010, 03:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindoverMaster View Post
Welcome to TF!

It might be his backlight in his LCD is flickering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
It could be the monitor going into standby mode.
Hi guys! Thanks for helping... the strange thing is that it only happens once a week... Checked the monitor settings and they are all set to never! Also he told me that when it happens he smells something burning...
Old 04-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

The LCD is probably shorting out.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Check the temperatures, especially if you smell something burning. The GPU could be shutting off due to heat. Stress Test it as much as you can. Intel Burn Test, and FurMark will bring the computer to it's knees with temperatures you normally wouldn't see, even while gaming. OCCT would be another great choice, to test the CPU.

*BE CAREFUL WITH THESE!!! THESE PROGRAMS COULD VERY WELL DESTROY YOUR COMPUTER IF THE TEMPERATURES GET TOO HOT.

OCCT

Intel Brun Test

FurMark
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 : AMD FX 9370 : Corsair H100i GTX Cooler : 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 (4x4Gb) : XFX 7970 Ghz 3GB x 2 : PNY XLR8 256GB SSD : Seagate 1TB : Antec True Power Quattro 1000W : Thermaltake G41
Old 04-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hey thanks for the help, just found out that sometimes the graphics card fan doesn't start!
Old 04-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamska View Post
Hey thanks for the help, just found out that sometimes the graphics card fan doesn't start!
Yeah, overheating will definitely cause the problems you found. I suggest either an RMA of the graphics card (if it's not too old), a new card (if the budget allows), or an aftermarket GPU heatsink and fan. These can be had pretty cheap, even locally if you have a store around that has one and it supports your GPU. Best Buy carries some, but they're not the greatest, and provide limited support.

ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 : AMD FX 9370 : Corsair H100i GTX Cooler : 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 (4x4Gb) : XFX 7970 Ghz 3GB x 2 : PNY XLR8 256GB SSD : Seagate 1TB : Antec True Power Quattro 1000W : Thermaltake G41
Closed Thread