Screen Stays Blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddington

Solid State Member
I recieved 1024MBs of DDR2 ram I ordered from Tigerdirect today. I unplugged everything from my computer and opened it up. My computer was running on 2 sticks of 256mb and 1 stick of 512mb DDR ram. When i took them out i saw this but figured I would try a 512mb DDR2 stick and see if I could at least use that before my new motherboard arrived. I removed all the DDR ram I had and put in 1 stick of 512mb DDR2 ram. i plugged the computer back to everything and tried to boot it up. The monitor remained black.

I unplugged everything from the computer again and removed the DDR ram. I put the old ram back in and tried to boot with the computer just connected to the monitor. Both the computer and the monitor have power and both have lights turning on. When I try to boot the computer the screen remains blank still, even with the old ram in the computer.

At this point i thought one of the ram sticks might be bad so I took 2 sticks out and tried to boot. No change. I put a different stick in and took the first stick of ram out and tried booting. Nothing on the screen. I tried the last stick and nothing changed. I've tried the last stick of ram in all 3 ram slots my MB has and nothing shows up on screen.

The monitor worked fine when i plugged it into another computer.

When i start my computer everything sounds normal. The fan runs, the hard drive is working but nothing comes up on screen. I know the monitor is working but I cannot get it to work with my computer for some reason.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What are the specs of your Motherboard? Are you sure your motherboard supports DDR2? If your motherboard doesnt support DDR2 Memory you probably just killed your ram slots.

:(

My brother put this computer together a few years ago so i don't think it supports DDR2. Would just trying the DDR2 stick really make regular DDR ram no longer work in any of the slots? I only tried 1 DDR2 stick in 1 of the three ram slots. I'll probably just have to wait until my new motherboard gets here to get back on my computer.

Putting the wrong type of ram in slots can kill the slot. Ive killed 1 of my motherboards that way because I wasnt paying attention to what ram I was putting in. Hopefully it didnt kill your ram, Good luck with the new motherboard.

there is a safety feature built into motherboards so that when a critical piece of hardware is replaced the CMOS EE-PROM must be reset. to reset the CMOS EE-PROM take out the 'button battery'(that thick silverly coin) leave it out for about a minute then put it back and set ur BIOS to 'Opitmal settings', there should also be a jumper on the mobo that will reset the CMOS EE-PROM to, just look in ur mobo manual to see how to use it and where it is located on the mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom