Screen keeps flickering. Have tried 2 different video cards. Problem remains...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattl148

Baseband Member
Hey all,

My computer specs are:

DELL Vostro 410 Q6600 2.4ghz Quad Core processor
4 GB Ram
At the moment, ATI HD 3400. HAD a Geforce 9800 GTX+
Windows 7 32 bit

My problem began as I was playing Team fortress 2 using my Geforce 9800 GTX+. Out of nowhere, I started getting random crashes to my desktop, sometimes a blue screen would appear and I would have to restart. Eventually, I would get an error message down at the taskbar saying "Display driver kernel has stopped responding and has recovered", something like that, not the exact error message but very similar. It started getting worse after a while, not just with gaming but random desktop use. My screen would flicker and the taskbar would change colors, I would also get the error message as well as blue screen at times. It got so bad that when I logged into the computer, the taskbar and shortcuts would be purple.

I decided to try and swap my Geforce 9800 GTX+ for the ATI HD 3400 that came with my DELL. Here's where it gets real interesting:

After opening my computer and swapping the video cards, I had no internet connection. Reason being was my network adapter which was built into the motherboard did not work anymore. It would display no connection light at all, it was simply gone, fried, whatever. I was very skeptical as to why opening my computer and swapping video cards would cause my network adapter to stop working. I was grounded the whole time and didn't fry anything..

After this, I bought and installed a brand new NIC which worked. I now had an internet connection again and my old ATI HD 3400 in my computer.

Things were going smooth for a few days until tonight. As I was chatting on steam, my screen flickered again. My desktop task bar changed colors, I received no error message. A minute later, it flickered again and my taskbar was back to its original color. It hasn't done this since but I am worried because it doesn't sound like a video card problem anymore.

My friend thinks that it may be a mobo problem. Being as I have a Dell, they do not sell spare motherboard parts on their website so I really don't know where to find one, unless any motherboard would fit in a DELL case but I doubt it.

Would anyone have a clue as to what this problem may be?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom