Screen goes dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

cypherotu

Baseband Member
I just built a new computer and have an odd problem.
After running anything graphics intensive for 10 min, or something not so graphics intensive for a little longer the screen just goes black. After that it spits out an error message saying it is receiving no input. Tried it with a different screen, same problem.

Any clue what could cause this?
My first guess is that the two video cards (SLI) are overheating. When windows finishes booting and idling for 1 min they are running at 50 degrees C.
The cards are prety close together so they might not be getting enough airflow.

50C is fine its not overheating , usally the high end cards idle in 50-60 and max at 70-85C

its more likely a psu issue or one of the cards is bad
what psu do you have? brand/model , provide full system specs

download sandra click here , get into hardware-->mainboard , scroll down til youll see "voltage sensors" and take a screenshot

Funny enough I've just had the exact same problem with my new 7800GS CO. But I'm afraid to say my card was faulty and I had to send it back and get a replacement. My problem was with 3d graphics. I could use Windows or surf the web but as soon as I started a 3d game my screen would black and I got the "no signal input" message like someone had unplugged the monitor cable. I tried everything from drivers, a new psu, new monitor cable, different cards, you name it, I tried it. Have you tried all the latest drivers etc, what kind of PSU have you got and what wattage is it? Also are the cards new?

It cant be just using 3d graphics because it will die if I just let windows sit there for a long time.
The cards are new from newegg
I have used two different monitors and two different cables so that shouldnt be the problem

I guess it could be a faulty card. I didnt update the drivers, just used the ones they came with, that will be done tonight. Will post PSU stats tonight.

alright, power suply stats

Name = FX600-gln
http://www.fsp-group.com.tw/english/1_product/2_detail.asp?mainid=1&fid=98&proid=461

600 W

Have 4400 AMD processor
2 G ram
2x GT video cards (dont remember name off the top of my head)

2X hard drives

Video cards have an extra power source of an 6-pin connectore. I used the 6-pin connector off my PSU instead of using 2 4-pins with an adaptor if that makes a difference.

Alright, now my comp works with a second (smaller) monitor. It runs fine, runs for over an hour, and can run games at good resolution. The new monitor which is a 21 in still dies after 10 min or so. Could the monitor be causing this after all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom