Screen freezes into colored pattern multiple times a day ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gawrycht

Solid State Member
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum and pretty new to trying to fix my own PC as well ... which is why I'm here.

I have had a problem with the screen freezing on my HP pavilion for a few months now and, after contacting HP mulitiple times, haven't come up with a solution. The computer is about 2 years old and has Windows XP Media Center OS on it. The computer boots fine and runs fine but at any given time throughout the day the screen will freeze into a nice little herringbone pattern of colored shapes.
(Tried inserting a pic I took of the frozen screen; doubt you can see it though)

It does this at any time, regardless of what program is running (if any ... it even does it in the screensaver mode). I can't tell if the programs are running in the background because I can't get past the screen freeze. I initially tested the monitor by hooking it up to my laptop and letting it run all weekend. The monitor worked fine and didn't freeze once. I updated all drivers and the BIOS after doing a system restore (destructive hard drive reformat) and pulled, cleaned, and re-seated my memory sticks two days ago (suggested on another forum) and finished with running memtest86. Nothing worked. Screen still freezes for no apparent reason. Could this be the graphics card?

Sounds like it or might even be a faulty slot on the board is it pci x im assuming it is, try a low end card to test the slot, also how long does this pattern stay for does it revert back?

It doesn't revert back. I have to turn the power off and reboot. Then it will run fine again for a while ... sometimes even hours.

It is an NVidia graphics card. I will have to get the specs on it when I get home. It is about 2 years old, though. I haven't measured the temps (not sure how ... Sorry!) but it never had a problem until recently. I did check to make sure the fans are running (two of them) and they run fine. I also left off the side of the case, since temperature seems to come up a lot in the forums, but that hasn't appeared to help either.

Not to sound totally stupid ... but what is "RMA?" I will check on the card manufacturer...

Thanks!

In reply to Nagasama ... my memory sticks are Hynix, and I can't find them anywhere when I do a search. I contacted HP to see what compatible products they may have and am tempted to get two new sticks. What is in there now is:
Hynix 1GB 2Rx8 PC2-4200u-444-12

I didn't realize there are so many different kinds of sticks out there. I did notice someone on another forum stating the bought some PC2-5300 sticks and they didn't work. What numbers determine the compatibility for the RAM sticks, assuming I still go with the 1GB 2Rx8?

im sorry i meant the memory of your graphics card.
run memtest on your ram for a few hours and that will tell you if your RAM (the actual sticks in your computer, not the graphics memory) is stable or if it has problems.

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic

oh wait i see in your original post that you ran memtest. did you get no errors with it? or could you just not see it because of the problem you are having?
try re-posting your screenshot so i can see it.
what motherboard do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom