Scorched P1 connector!

Status
Not open for further replies.

superpowermuffi

Beta member
Hello,

Let me start out with some background. I started having problems with my computer freezing after being on overnight about 2 weeks ago. I chalked it up originally to the videocard overheating, as the fan was beginning to fail. After repairing the VC fan and installing a new fan, the problem did not resolve. Now, it has developed into constant failures: sometimes it fails to boot; just hangs at or before the POST. Sometimes it starts to boot, and hangs just before the Windows XP screen comes up. Sometimes it starts up fine, then locks up shortly after. Sometimes it just spontaneously restarts. Sometimes the screen suddenly shows a strange pattern and the computer freezes. Sometimes it tells me windows has had a fatal error, and tells me to restart.

I took apart my computer and cleaned all the contacts and reinserted all the cards. In doing this, I discovered that three (the very top two, as well as one in the second row closest to the processor) of the pins on the P1 connector were scorched: the plastic look like a lighter had been taken to it, and the metal contacts were darkened. I now suspect that inermittent/fluctuating power is causing my problem, but nailing down this problem has been such a goose chase that I'm still not sure. Would the scorched contacts I describe likely create the symptomology I'm seeing?

Secondly, how can I go about repairing it? I don't see any obvious damage to the board except that P1 connector, so can the P1 connector alone be replaced? Or will I have to replace the whole board and power supply? (both the connector on the board and from the power supply are scorched) I don't think the motherboard has been severely damaged, as I am typing this message on the aforementioned computer during one of its rare bouts of lucidity.

Thank you for any help, it is greatly appreciated. I have been pulling my hair out over this for a week. Please note that I'm a broke medical student and can't just junk this relatively high-end machine.

If it helps at all, this is one of the error messages windows gave me:

"DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS _OR_EQUAL
Stop:0x00000D1(0xC80B40E0, 0x00000002,0x00000001,0xedss14bd)
AFD.sys-address EDSS14BD at base EDS41000 datestamp 4117ebs"

Here are my specs:
http://www.vprmatrix.com/products_desktop_240R.asp

Thanks again,
Eric

I would definately point to the PSU. if it were any other piece of hardware, the errors would be the same.

does the case fit ATX PSU's?
if so, I would get it replaced with a good PSU, like a Fortron 450W

Thanks everyone for your help and insight. The other night, I cleaned out the P1 connector's contacts as best I could, and just generally tried to improve the connectivity therein. So far, so good. It's been stable for about 4 days now, with no hiccoughs. If anything further happens, I will replace the power supply. I still can't imagine how this happened, though, as my PSU is relatively high-end. I just can't see what chain of events would lead to that connector literally buring!

Thanks again, everyone.
- Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom