SB600 Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caacrin

Beta member
I recently bought a MSI K9A2 Platinum MOBO with a ATI SB600 South bridge. I Also bought 2 WD raptors and and 2 Asus optical drives, which are all SATA. This was my first build so I was more than happy when i got to the BIOS w/o anything catching on fire. But when I looked under SATA connections, it said nothing detected. I double checked connections, made sure they were enabled, installed a newer BIOS version. Then went to MSI tech support and they said that i needed to make sure that my drives were ATI SATA compatible. I've read everywhere, I've asked 3 different friends who are all somewhat knowledgeable, and no one knows how to check this. Also is this a common thing to happen, i thought if something had SATA ports, they would take SATA drives, but now two different brand of drives are not working with this mother board. Is this something that can be fixed with Drivers, or do I have a faulty MOBO? Also 2 of my 6 SATA ports are Promise T3, and when I plugged my WD HDD into them, i was able to get the MOBO to detect them and set up a raid just fine. If some one could help me out or even direct me to a place where i can find more info that would help me out so much. Heres a link to what i bough if it helps you figure out what my problem is.

MOBO
Newegg.com - MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

HDD
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YS 160GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Optical Drives
Newegg.com - ASUS Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 14X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - Retail
Newegg.com - ASUS Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A3T - Retail

Have you gone in to your BIOS settings and under integrated peripherals select enable SATA?

Yes i have, I've also changed the raid from AHIC, IDE, and RAID, and with each of them, no success.

When you installed windows did you hit F6 at the very first when it prompts you and then use the floppy or cdrom to install Sata drivers on your hard drive?
If you have an ide drive with windows on it you can install sata drivers from within windows but if not you need to install when you install windows.
Now I haven't upgraded to the newest motherboards yet I'm still using a 939 processor so I'm not sure you still need to do this but you used to have to do it this way.

I can't install an OS without an optical, and as far as i know you dont need to install drivers for the SATA, and if you do where can i dl them from, and how do i get them on my pc.

The drivers would be on the Motherboard web site. Also the info if you need them will be there also. You put the drivers on a floppy to boot from and that should set you up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom