Saving BIOS settings ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKnPA

In Runtime
How can I save my present BIOS settings, if I cannot enter the BIOS ???
I believe my CMOS is corrupted. I have done everything to 'clear the CMOS", battery check, new RAM...... everything but 'Flash'.
Before I 'Flash', or install a new chip.......... I am trying to verify that the CMOS settings have been corrupted.
*Error message: " CMOS/GPNV checksum bad".

Can I save or view these settings before I 'flash' them.

* MSI 845Ultra
AMI Bios...... 6398 v3.0

John...

Did you remove the Cmos battery and then unplug the PSU and hit the start buton serval times to completely remove all residual capacitence from the Mobo first? If, after removing the battery, you still cannot enter the bios, find the mobo reset jumpers, they are usually right next to the CPU and jumper the board from position 1 to postion 2, and then restart the puter. You will get a check sum error generally). Power down the mobo and put the jumper back to position 1. Now your bios should be at defualt if the cmos battery removal trick didn't work. CONSULT YOUR MOBO MANUAL TO LOCATE THE BIOS RESET JUMPERS!!!!! If all else fails, reflash the bios! But be careful! If you have the worng bios flash....start looking for a new mobo!!!!!!

Rico,
I have done all that about 50times. I built this unit two years ago...... so I am familar with all the internal parts.
I can only get it to 'boot'....... by hitting the F2 key.
What is happening when i hit that key? Do the keyboard keys go to the 'Northbridge controler"???
Since the 'jumper' doesn't work.......does that mean the BIOS isn't reset to the 'Default settings' ???
I believe the CMOS is corrupted...... just want to make sure.
* Any help is appreciated...... John

okay. Time to flash that bios from the floppy. If that fails and it is the right bios flash the mobo bios chip may have failed and you need to replace the mobo. when you pulled the battery, the Cmos reverts to its factory settings and you would be prompted, when restarting the system, to enter the BIOS and reset time etc. The Cmos is a special kind of memory that holds the BIOS configuatin settings. CMOS memory is only powered by the battery. The BIOS reads the CMOS information such as which hard dirve types are configured for the computer to use, which dirves it shold search for boot sectors, and so on. The CMOS is not upgradable. Sounds to me like the Award or phoenix BIOS chip on that puter is either corrupted or failed. In war it's "srpay and pray" in Bios it's "flash and pray". Hitting F2 usually boots you into the BIOS configuration software on the bios chip. (or del on some boards). If it boots....after hitting F2.......?????? Some how the biso is then bypassed but windows should always load to the defualt Bios stteings. The fact that you cannot enter the BIOS setup forces me to believe you must reflash thta BIOS.

OK....
I have ordered another BIOS chip, and I have a floppy with a "Flash" ready to go.
I will attempt to "Flash" (bad chip) after I receive the new Bios chip..... maybe i'll get lucky and have a spare!...... right!
I will report back when the problem is fixed.

Thanks....
John...

Update.....
I received my new CMOS/BIOS chip.
1. "Flashed" chip in the mobo....... program ran and then I got an error message........ as I suspected.
2. Removed chip...... inserted new chip, easier than I thought.
3. Cleared Cmos( jumper)..... per instruction from company.
4. Powered-up......... no change! Same error message.
* I suspect it's the "Northbridge controller on the mobo. So unless a miracle happens....... I will need a new Mobo.

** Any comments........ John....

New Years Eve........ present or 'miracle'...... ???

I asked my computer buddy to come over with another
keyboard and DOS bootup disk. I didn't have access to either, so I couldn't substitute the keyboard or 'flash' the CMOS fom DOS.
I did the 'flash' from Windows...... it ran, but I got errors???
These were my last two 'hopes' before I wanted to think about another mobo.
We tried the 'keyboard' first..............
..................IT WORKED...........
I just smiled and said 'thank you'..... that was the first time in 2yrs. I saw that 'Big Blue/yellow" Screen.
Now I have another Ram card, and a spare(new) CMOS chip, and a temporary keyboard.
HAPPY NEW YEAR ....... John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom