SATA3 drive only recognised when SATA2 drive disconnected

Status
Not open for further replies.

alchemist95

Beta member
Hi - I have just completed a new build [Asus P6X58D-E; 12Gb Ram; Corsair Tx750; i7-950; Gigabyte GTX460] to which I put a 2T SATA3 HDD. The build went perfectly and loaded windows 7 just fine. Reboots and runs well.

After all the drivers and everything were loaded and the system was stable I added two data drives with all my data on them. A Seagate 1T SATA2 drive and a Samsung 500G SATA2 drive. Neither of these were ever boot drives.

When I restart the system it tries to boot of the 500G drive and doesn't show the 2T SATA 3 drive at all in bios. If I take the SATA2 drives out it boots normally again. It also runs fine if I put the SATA2 drives in a caddy and plug it in vial USB.

Have I missed something in the initial setup/first start that is causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

There are no such thing as SATA 2. They are SATA3 or SATA6.

Go into BIOS and set the boot priority, those drives could have overridden it.

Apologies - the 2T is a 6G/s drive the others are 3 G/s drives. Boot priority is set to 1. Blue Ray device 2. HDD. When the two smaller drives are in the system the 2T drive is not visible in bios at all. I don't have the option to select it in boot priority.

Try or make sure the "Main Boot Drive" (2T SATA3 HDD) is plugged into the 1st SATA port on the motherboard. Some motherboards call the 1st port, port 1, and some call the 1st port, port 0.

I don't have a SATA3 drive, my SSD's are SATA II drives. But I'm sure a SATA3 drive is compatible with a SATA II drive. When you installed Windows what mode did you set the SATA controller as? IDE, AHCI or Raid? I would try all 3 options until all 3 drives are detected. But if a different mode does recognize all the drives you will probably have to re-install Windows.

Thanks I will give these ideas a try when I get home and let you know how I go. The 2T drive is currently on SATA_6G_2 so that may well be the problem. The SATA controller was set to ACHI at install but is worth a try on the other settings. Re-installing windows is not an issue there's nothing else on that drive yet.

I thought the I, II and III referred to revisions of the standard which is confusing since rev II is 3 G/s and Rev III is 6 G/s. Anyway we are all on the same page now and it will teach me to be more careful in saying what I mean. I am very new to all this.

The AHCI setting should be the correct setting, I was thinking you might have a problem if they were set to IDE (but they should work with all the settings). If the port change doesn't help I would try changing the mode to see if maybe it does help. It can't hurt, you can always just change it back.

Edit:
Looking at your mobo specifications it says that (2) of the SATA ports are 6Gb/s and (6) are 3Gb/s ports. So I would break out the manual and make sure I have them attached correctly.

Also, in the bios, go to the Onboard Devices Configuration and make sure the Marvel 9128 controller is enabled and set to AHCI mode.

Thanks for the heads up Slaymate - it seems that I had set the bios to AHCI but not the Marvel controller. Fixing that and re-installing windows solved the problem. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom