SATA2 HD help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allied641

Beta member
Hello,

Im having a hard time upgrading my computer. I recently bought a Western digital Hardrive (WD2500JS - 250 Gigs). My Mobo (K8T890-A) supports SATA. But im not sure if it supports SATA2. the WD hardrive is SATA2. Im told there are ways that i can disable, or remove the SATA2 using the Jumper in the Hardrive.

I realize the obvious answer is simply to call WD, And have them explain it to me. Not easy, I spent 50 minutes on hold, Only to have them tell me that they were closing. Its definitly the busy time of there year, and id hate to spend 3+ Hours on the phone. So i was hoping that someone here could help me out.

Anyways, I installed it correctly, Yet BIOS nor Windows will recognize the disc.

Is there some BIOS option to disable the Sata2? Is my Mobo compatible with Sata2?

Any help would be greatly Appreciated,

Thanks.

The Sata2 hardrive will run at regular Sata speeds. You should be fine using it.

WD drives normally come with a config floppy, if you don't have one you can get it off the WD website.

right click "my computer" click "manage" on the menu that pops up.

on left hand side of the window that comes up.
storage
disk management.

the hdd is probably listed there as unformatted or such. format a ntfs partition . then you should see it popup .

new hdds usually dont come with any partitions on them these days
so that you can install / use them with any OS.

networkgeek said:
right click "my computer" click "manage" on the menu that pops up.

on left hand side of the window that comes up.
storage
disk management.

the hdd is probably listed there as unformatted or such. format a ntfs partition . then you should see it popup .

new hdds usually dont come with any partitions on them these days
so that you can install / use them with any OS.

Exactly: dirve comes unallocated if installed as a "slave".

Go to: My Computer>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computermanagement>Diskmanagement. You will see the drive listed as unallocated. You simply right click in the pane for that unallocated disk and choose to create a partition and then it will be formated NTFS and show up in My Computer when formatting is complete.

RicoDirenzo said:
Exactly: dirve comes unallocated if installed as a "slave".

Go to: My Computer>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computermanagement>Diskmanagement. You will see the drive listed as unallocated. You simply right click in the pane for that unallocated disk and choose to create a partition and then it will be formated NTFS and show up in My Computer when formatting is complete.

ah yes "unallocated" that was the term that my tired self couldnt think of this morning LOL

:)

the drivemanagement console is also useful for pesky flash drives that windows wants to use a drive letter that is already taken. just change the flash drives letter to something else and voila , it shows up in my computer. :)

I am a network admin and we use F as a network drive, which is what most flash drives are by default in XP :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom