SATA and XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
see i tried installing full vista home premium with a friend's copy. everything worked fine but i decided not to go through full installation just in case he gets a call from the fbi for breaking the license. because vista registers the key you have as soon as you go online

so having done this is tried again with xp but it didnt work so i was stuck and i came here

i will try disabling sata. it might be something wrong with the xp cd as well but i seriously doubt it because i have tried with 32 bit pro, 64 bit pro and 32 bit home but nope it still doesnt work

i know xp does not support 4gb of ram, but i have the windows vista upgrade cd which i am going to use after installing XP

Yes it does... If it's 64bit (whether XP, Vista, or OSX) it'll support 4GB+. If its a 32bit OS, it'll only support up to 3-3.5GB.

Also, to OP: Have you tried enabling Legacy mode, or enabling SATA drives to act as IDE drives? A lot of BIOS's have this option nowadays.

Yes it does... If it's 64bit (whether XP, Vista, or OSX) it'll support 4GB+. If its a 32bit OS, it'll only support up to 3-3.5GB.

Also, to OP: Have you tried enabling Legacy mode, or enabling SATA drives to act as IDE drives? A lot of BIOS's have this option nowadays.

i was going to try this originaly but i could not find any guides and i do not want to toy with bios just in case i screw something up

it would be great if you could give me a guide

ahh i see sorry for confusion

k not familiar with your specific mobo bios but you should be able to see something along the lines of

sata controller - enable/disable

or

im not quite sure what legacy is or does but try it...

you should be fine as long as you dont go trying to obliterate all the settings it will be fine to change the few you need to... if something messes up there should be a return to factory defaults or some such thing you can use

ok well i just tried disabling sata but i still got BSOD

if i could get a guide on how to enable legacy mode that would be nice

hmmm well you should be able to see the legacy mode - enable/disable option. it should be right around the sata option... i have an asus board and the legacy option is 2-3 options below sata... im not sure for you though...

k im out its 2am here and i have a studio to run tomorrow ill check this forum tomorrow and ask a buddy of mine who might be able to help

hmmm well you should be able to see the legacy mode - enable/disable option. it should be right around the sata option... i have an asus board and the legacy option is 2-3 options below sata... im not sure for you though...

k im out its 2am here and i have a studio to run tomorrow ill check this forum tomorrow and ask a buddy of mine who might be able to help

alright thanks for the help, ill see if i can pick up from this tomorrow, its really been ****ing me off i haven't been able to install an OS in 3 days

update!:

i tried doing it with xp a couple more times using hard drives from some of my other newer computers and it still didnt work, so i went to best buy and got a refund on the vista CD and i just bought ultimate and installed it. its looking good so far..

guess this is microsoft's way of telling us to buy vista eh?

write down the full error code as that is the key to solving the problem at this point in time, once you have it on a peice of paper or whatever google it.

EDIT: I didnt see this page of the thread just the first once, good to see you got an OS on it finally

It's not anything to do with Legacy mode, SATA, or anything else. The bottom line is, that if the XP installer recognises the disc, there isn't a problem installing to that drive.

It's not the drive, it's not the SATA controller, or anything else. My money's on the memory, or an expansion card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom