SATA RAID and Win XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussianCommie

Beta member
First off I want to explain that this computer did work...it was my dad's. He passed away in February and I got on it, backed up the data and decided I didnt want a RADI10 anymore so I undid it and formatted the drives. That is where the crap starts.

My Computer:
Mobo: ABit IC7-MAX3
CPU: P4 2.4GHz HT
HD: 4x Western Digital Caviar SE 250 GB SATA
Vid: ATI Radeon something
CD: CD/DVD R/RW
Floppy
Zip 250
Etc

So when I first went in I attempted to reinstall windows. On boot everything was normal. I got to the partitioning portion of setup and it displayed no storage devices...odd since it was still working at the time. Restarted and the drives were not identified as IDE, but when the message to press F4 to get into the raid config it listed the 4 drives below. These drives were connect to SATA slots 3-6. I went into the RAID config and it displayed a RAID10 config and showed two drives to be primary and striped and the remaining two to be redundant mirrors. I deleted this and formatted the drives.

I proceeded to try installing windows several times with the same results. I then tried disconnecting the other 3 drives and connecting the one to the SATA 1 slot and turning off the RAID. I was then able to see the unpartitioned space on the windows install. Seeing as my disks are SP1 I could only partition 131 GB. I then successfully installed Windows. After the install was done the computer restarted and when it supposed to be at the load screen it was instead black and did nothing. I tinkered around with settings for a long time to no avail.

Today I called Microsoft Tech, a last resort as you can imagine. Did all the same stuff as before except this time he had me tap F8 and go figure...the Safe Mode prompt worked. Selected Safe Mode and waited for it to do its thing. It never did because it got hung up on mup.sys. They tell me it is a hardware problem, I think they are full of ****.

At this point I am at a loss for ideas. I am somewhat computer savvy, I am smart enough to build my own computer, but I have never worked with RAID or SATA before.

Check out this.It may help you out
Hi my XP Pro system got the mup.sys error just out of the blue today. Here's what I did:
1. Ran XP setup and logged onto my C:\windows
2. EXPANDed the d:\i386\mup.sy_ file to C:\windows\system32\drivers folder

after a failed reboot or two I then followed the advice of whoever wrote about pulling out their mouse lead during safe mode boot.
I was running a Logitech cordless mouse off that system at the time and I did the following to get XP to boot successfully:

1. made sure ACPI, Plug & Play, USB all enabled in BIOS

2. moved mouse from the ps/2 port to the first USB port
3. booted using safe mode
4. waited until it hung at Mup.sys
5. removed the mouse cable from the USB port
6. (3 seconds or so pass, the screen went black and safe mode appeared)
7. restarted system
8. booted normally into XP Pro

job's a goodun', thanks to that poster!

Thanks all

Adam

Report Offensive Message For Removal

Response Number 1

Name: svg
Date: March 02, 2004 at 21:53:02 Pacific
Subject: How I solved Mup.sys problem XP Pro

Reply:
Hi Adam,
Many Thanx for letting us know it works!!

It'll go into my archives so I can give people a link to this thread in the future!

Report Offensive Follow Up For Removal

Response Number 2

Name: dongato
Date: March 16, 2004 at 15:06:34 Pacific

Reply:
i had a problem like this,windows would hang at mup.sys, and safe mod wouln't work i any flavor. but i didn't install any usb cards or anything. windows suddenly just started doing this. i tried loadins the recovery console from the win-xp boot disc, but thereit would spit out a disc error, but the cd was in perfect conditions, i tried booting off it from another machine and it worked great. i found out one of the memory slots in the motherboard was damaged. i changed it to one that worked and it worked fine.

Response Number 3

Name: akodag
Date: March 20, 2004 at 22:06:41 Pacific

Reply:
My father's computer recently encountered this issue with the mup.sys, and his OS is a XP pro. It all started as a windows freez up while he was working on a Autocad drawing. When I restarted the computer, I got the options to load windows, so I chose Safe Mode and that's when I saw the process froze at mup.sys. I tried a few things from the forums on the net, but finally I suspected that a sector on the hard drive might be bad and interferes with the boot process.
So I boot the computer from the XP CD and loaded the Recovery console, where at the prompt I typed chkdsk and hit enter. When the check disk operation completed the message said that a few hard disk errors were found and chkdsk utility fixed them automatically. I restarted the computer and BANG- windows XP loaded successfully.
Hope this helps !!

Response Number 4
Name: Paul
Date: April 15, 2004 at 13:26:32 Pacific

Reply:
I also had this problem and after much trouble it looks like it was hardware. I had an identical machine here and was able to swap the hard drive out to the other machine and it started working perfectly.
Thanks! (Now I just need to see about fixing that other machine...hope its under warranty!)

RussianCommie said:

So when I first went in I attempted to reinstall windows. On boot everything was normal. I got to the partitioning portion of setup and it displayed no storage devices...odd since it was still working at the time. Restarted and the drives were not identified as IDE, but when the message to press F4 to get into the raid config it listed the 4 drives below. These drives were connect to SATA slots 3-6. I went into the RAID config and it displayed a RAID10 config and showed two drives to be primary and striped and the remaining two to be redundant mirrors. I deleted this and formatted the drives.

I'm afraid i've only skim read your post but what strikes me is that you dont mention you have the drivers for your SATA/RAID controller.

You need to donwload these from the manufacturers web site, unpack them to a floppy and when prompted press F6 to install a RAID driver....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom