SATA HDD undetected, black screen at startup - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default SATA HDD undetected, black screen at startup

...a few strange issues here.

I just installed a SATA drive into my PC and my computer isn't seeing it.

The HDD is a WD 640Gb SATA, The PC has an A-bit AV8 mobo, AMD Athlon 64 3200, running XP pro sp1

I tried installing the HDD using the installation disc it came with, but the drive seems to be not there. I also tried to format the HDD using my XP disc, but it doesn't "see" the drive.

I looked for it in the BIOS but it's not showing up there either.
and now, after going into the BIOS looking for this HDD I must have unknowingly changed something.
now when I start the computer I get a long pause with a black screen before and sometimes after the welcome screen.

This is the first SATA drive I've installed (total Noob) and now my PC gives me a black screen when booting up, and I still can't find the drive.

I read through the "stickies" and did a search to see if I could find some clue's as to how I can fix this thing, but I didn't really find anything like this, well, not exactly.

Oh, and now I'm also not hearing the usual "beep" when starting up.

I do hope someone here might have an idea what I may have done in the BIOS, or why the SATA HDD is undetected.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
D

Old 01-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Default Re: SATA HDD undetected, black screen at startup

do you have both the SATA data cable (to motherboard) and the SATA power cable (from the PSU) connected to the drive?
do you still have another HDD connected (the one with your OS on it)? in your bios, are you sure the OS drive is set to boot first?

Old 01-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
do you have both the SATA data cable (to motherboard) and the SATA power cable (from the PSU) connected to the drive?
Yes, I have both connected.

Quote:
do you still have another HDD connected (the one with your OS on it)? in your bios, are you sure the OS drive is set to boot first?
At this time I do have another HDD connected (WD 60Gb IDE)

I had wanted to replace the IDE drive with the SATA drive, but since I was unable to get the SATA drive working I reconnected the old drive.

After reading the "stickies" ...somewhere I read that it's not a good idea to have both SATA and IDE drives connected. So my thoughts (if I can manage to get the SATA working) is to just replace the old IDE drive.

In the bios I have the CD rom set to boot first, then the HDD. The SATA drive isn't showing up in the bios.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

I didn't do my research, but does your BIOS natively support SATA. Some don't, while they have SATA connectors you still need to upgrade the BIOS in order for it to recognize SATA - then enable it within the BIOS.

While upgrading to SP3 won't fix the issue of the BIOS not recognizing the drive, it will mitigate your issues down the road.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

also i have an IDE 80gb with my OS on it and a 500gb storage SATA drive in my folding/media rig and i have no problems with them together.

something else i just remembered...XP does not support SATA...you have to install some sort of driver i think...i cant remember its been so long since i used XP. PM mak...he can probably solve your problem in a minute or two.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
I didn't do my research, but does your BIOS natively support SATA.
As far as I can tell it does. It has something called sata raid tool, but as far as I can tell you need to have 2 drives connected to do anything with it.

Quote:
something else i just remembered...XP does not support SATA...you have to install some sort of driver i think...i cant remember its been so long since i used XP. PM mak...he can probably solve your problem in a minute or ywo.
I don't have enough posts to send a PM to anyone.

Maybe someone might know where I can get the drivers and drop a link into this thread...or PM Mak for me.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

ok i will PM him a link to this thread.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Now why is it that Windows Geek gets a PM about a Windows issue???

Alright they are correct. Windows XP doesnt support SATA out of box. But until you get the drive recognized in the BIOS that is your last worry about getting XP to see the drive.

So check every where in your BIOS. Make sure that there isnt a On/Off control for the SATA Drives. I know my mobo has them. So yours might as well. Once we get the HDD recognized in the BIOS we know that it is on and operational i can give you the instructions needed to get Windows to recognized the hard drive and get it installed.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 01-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

hey man windows master must help grasshopper
Old 01-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Windows Master has no problem helping. Just found it interesting to get a PM and come by and see my name mentioned in the thread as well.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread