SATA HDD Resolutions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-01-2006, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 69
Default SATA HDD Resolutions

I started a new thread as this is another topic sort of.

'Maxtor DiamondMax 10 160GB S300'

Basically Maxtor SATA Drives arent compatible with nforce chipsets.
Mine is nforce3 with the latest drivers/firmware for BIOS & the chipset.

The drive works as i stuck it in a MSI Motherboard with a VIA Chipset (i think). Worked fine.

So for it to work with nforce chipset based board, should i get a SATA PCI Card? Any specific make? What are the costs? This drive is for storage only, i'm not installing an os on it.

Thanks for any help guys
__________________

__________________
AMD Athlon x2 4200+ Dual core
2GB Ram (2x 512mb PC3200)
Nvidia Geforce 8600GT
40 GB Hdd
160 GB SATA
Lite On DVD Rom CD-RW Combo
NEC DVD RW
gtwill040 is offline  
Old 09-01-2006, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 326
Send a message via AIM to dipique
Default

Are you sure the IDE channel isn't busted on your mobo? Try another hard drive on that channel, or connecting your Maxtor drive to the secondary IDE channel (usually used for optical drives).

If all else fails, I would just buy a USB2.0 interface for the hard drive and plug it in that way. It's slightly less expensive than a PCI card, just as fast, and plus you'd have a portable hard drive.

Dan
__________________

dipique is offline  
Old 09-01-2006, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 69
Default

Its SATA drive.

I have a 40GB IDE and smaller drive plugged in and 2 optical drives. Which work fine.

The motherboard itself is only a few months old.

Do you think if i use the nforce4 drivers that contain these 2 drivers among others that it would work for the nforce3.

# WinXP IDE SataRAID Driver (v6.66) "WHQL"
# WinXP IDE SataIDE Driver (v6.66) "WHQL"

These 2 arent present in the nforce3 set
__________________
AMD Athlon x2 4200+ Dual core
2GB Ram (2x 512mb PC3200)
Nvidia Geforce 8600GT
40 GB Hdd
160 GB SATA
Lite On DVD Rom CD-RW Combo
NEC DVD RW
gtwill040 is offline  
Old 09-01-2006, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 326
Send a message via AIM to dipique
Default

Sorry, I don't know why it didn't register with me that it was a SATA drive. I assume you've already tried fooling around with jumper settings to make sure the channel priority is in order.

Go ahead and try different drivers, but you may end up having to roll them back. Seriously though, consider turning it into a USB2.0 hard drive. $20 and you're in business, and it's a great tool for all sorts of situations.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812156014

Dan
dipique is offline  
Old 09-01-2006, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 69
Default

The jumper settings is to limit it to 1.5 or the 3.0. Motherboard only supports 1.5 so i limited it to that.

Them drivers didnt make a difference. I can access the drive which has 2 partitions one is 70% and the other 30% of the total size. I just cant write to the drive.

I want to use it for storage, like FS2004 and When i get FSX and others. Will they still play fine? IF i turn into USB as you suggest
__________________
AMD Athlon x2 4200+ Dual core
2GB Ram (2x 512mb PC3200)
Nvidia Geforce 8600GT
40 GB Hdd
160 GB SATA
Lite On DVD Rom CD-RW Combo
NEC DVD RW
gtwill040 is offline  
Old 09-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 326
Send a message via AIM to dipique
Default

Yes, they will work fine.

Dan
dipique is offline  
Old 09-01-2006, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 69
Default

thanks for your help, cant buy that one. I'm from the uk
__________________
AMD Athlon x2 4200+ Dual core
2GB Ram (2x 512mb PC3200)
Nvidia Geforce 8600GT
40 GB Hdd
160 GB SATA
Lite On DVD Rom CD-RW Combo
NEC DVD RW
gtwill040 is offline  
Old 09-01-2006, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 326
Send a message via AIM to dipique
Default

http://www.misco.co.uk/SSinfo/~90672...bo+Adaptor.htm
__________________

dipique is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.