SATA HDD Resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtwill040

Baseband Member
I started a new thread as this is another topic sort of.

'Maxtor DiamondMax 10 160GB S300'

Basically Maxtor SATA Drives arent compatible with nforce chipsets.
Mine is nforce3 with the latest drivers/firmware for BIOS & the chipset.

The drive works as i stuck it in a MSI Motherboard with a VIA Chipset (i think). Worked fine.

So for it to work with nforce chipset based board, should i get a SATA PCI Card? Any specific make? What are the costs? This drive is for storage only, i'm not installing an os on it.

Thanks for any help guys

Are you sure the IDE channel isn't busted on your mobo? Try another hard drive on that channel, or connecting your Maxtor drive to the secondary IDE channel (usually used for optical drives).

If all else fails, I would just buy a USB2.0 interface for the hard drive and plug it in that way. It's slightly less expensive than a PCI card, just as fast, and plus you'd have a portable hard drive.

Dan

Its SATA drive.

I have a 40GB IDE and smaller drive plugged in and 2 optical drives. Which work fine.

The motherboard itself is only a few months old.

Do you think if i use the nforce4 drivers that contain these 2 drivers among others that it would work for the nforce3.

# WinXP IDE SataRAID Driver (v6.66) "WHQL"
# WinXP IDE SataIDE Driver (v6.66) "WHQL"

These 2 arent present in the nforce3 set

Sorry, I don't know why it didn't register with me that it was a SATA drive. I assume you've already tried fooling around with jumper settings to make sure the channel priority is in order.

Go ahead and try different drivers, but you may end up having to roll them back. Seriously though, consider turning it into a USB2.0 hard drive. $20 and you're in business, and it's a great tool for all sorts of situations.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812156014

Dan

The jumper settings is to limit it to 1.5 or the 3.0. Motherboard only supports 1.5 so i limited it to that.

Them drivers didnt make a difference. I can access the drive which has 2 partitions one is 70% and the other 30% of the total size. I just cant write to the drive.

I want to use it for storage, like FS2004 and When i get FSX and others. Will they still play fine? IF i turn into USB as you suggest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom